Chapter 22

Rhea POV

"You know what really sucks? Essays, I hate essays," I groan out, speaking to Jane about my troubles.

"I know, they suck big time," she responds, barely listening, focusing on her homework.

"You're in grade five, you don't get the amount of writing that I do. You barely have to write a full page and the teacher is happy," I reply.

"Whose fault is that? Yours! Duh! You wanted skip grades faster than a bunny on crack," she replies humorously with a smile on her face that just screams 'I told you so.'

"There is a reason for that, why do I want to stay in a class that bores me to death about things I already know? I like the idea of writing and being creative, but my dyslexia is kicking in full time right now, I can barely make out if my 'd' is 'b', or if it's 'cream ice' or 'ice cream'."

"That's kind of funny, imagine having to read something out loud," she replies.

"Oh yeah, it's funny alright. Last year I made a fool out of myself when I did my presentation on the Bermuda triangle. I dropped my cards and they got mixed up, and I kept messing the words up. The more anxious I got, the worse my reading got."

"You've gotten better though. You are doing so well in school, better than all of us," she replies kindly, giving me a quick hug.

"Thanks, I'm having one of those days again. I can't focus and I have so much to do. My English teacher is being mean, especially about my writing facts, I had to write a short fiction story, and she gave it back, practically covered in her red ink on my 'many' mistakes. She's just picking on me."

"Only two months to go and then we're going home, you'll be in Grade 10 and I'll be in Grade 6. That's so weird, my best friend is four years more advanced than I am and yet, she is two years younger than me," she replies dramatically.

Two months did pass and I am home free.

I got home and my mum was already waiting at the door for me, bags packed and ready to go to Montauk.

This summer is going to be amazing, I think excitedly.

When we arrived on the beach, we were greeted by an excited Triton who surprised us by taking both my mom and I to Atlantis along with our bags.

It was weird for my mother to be under the sea and be able to breathe, curtesy of Triton's awesome godly powers.

We arrived at the palace and were then greeted by my father, who then introduced my mom to Amphitrite.

Talk about awkward, I think as I stare between the two women who were eyeing each other up and down.

"Welcome to Atlantis Sally Jackson," my step-mother said.

"Thank you, this place is amazing," my mother said nervously wringing her hands, but still in awe of our surroundings.

Sally POV

I don't know how Triton convinced me to come here, I'm a nervous wreck. What if Amphitrite smites me or something? She's not exactly known for her kindness.

Rhea and I got settled into our rooms before heading to the dining hall. The whole affair was getting to me and Rhea tried to calm me down.

"Don't worry mum, you're doing great and Triton's mom isn't so bad," she said, trying to reassure me.

We had dinner, and fortunately Poseidon took charge and asked Rhea about her year, which led to another topic- bullying.

"Dad, I can handle myself," she told him, shifting in her seat.