𝐗𝐈. THE NEW ARTICLE

CHAPTER ELEVENTHE NEW ARTICLE

CHAPTER ELEVEN
THE NEW ARTICLE

§ § §

The next morning when I walked into the Great Hall for breakfast, I was receiving even more stares and whispers than the usual- and that was saying something. I frowned, knowing this wasn't a good thing, and made my way over to my table. Pansy's copy of the Daily Prophet was lying on the table, and I grabbed it when I saw the heading of the cover page.

SIRIUS BLACK'S DEATH UNCOVERED
WAS HE INNOCENTLY ACCUSED?

With shaking hands, I read the article that uncovered the truth about Sirius. It explained how he wasn't the mass murderer everyone knew him for, and also mentioned that he was Harry and I's godfather. So that's why we were receiving looks.

I was halfway through the third paragraph when I had to place the paper down. The words were blurring due to my now streaming eyes. I hadn't talked about Sirius since his death. In fact, I tried to refrain from even thinking about it due to the sadness and guilt it causes me. Without a word, I stood and exited the Great Hall, heading back to my common room.

When I entered, I was followed by Draco. He had went after me out of the entrance hall and followed me. I turned to him, unable to stop the tears that were falling very rapidly now.

"It's your fault my father is in prison," He started, and I gaped at him, anger seeping through me. This is what he says? Right now? "But... it's my father's fault your godfather is dead."

After a moment, I shook my head. "No... no, that's alright, it was Bellatrix who-"

"Yes but my father was the one fighting him and distracting him from Bellatrix," Draco said. I just nodded, I didn't know what to say. "I didn't know he was your godfather."

I took a deep breath, trying to think of how to turn my emotions into words. "My parents died before I could talk, Draco. I had the Weasleys of course, but I didn't have my parents." Draco glanced down and then back at me. "I grew up without knowing my mothers embrace, or hearing my fathers advice. And although your mothers embrace may be cold, and your fathers advice may be rotten, at least you got it."

Draco reach forward to take my hand in his, his other raising to brush the tears off my face. "You have people who love you, Giovanna. You may have not grown up in your family, but you grew up in a family that loves you. I can't say the same."

There wasn't any hesitation as I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around Draco's middle, the side of my head resting on his chest. He hesitated for a moment before wrapping his arms around me, his chin on the top of my head.

"I love you, Draco. I know things are difficult right now. I know you've got your own things to keep from me, as I from you, but I love you. I've loved you since we were eleven years old and I haven't stopped. I don't think I can," I whispered.

He said nothing, but kissed the top of my head. And, when I pulled out of the hug, I could see the shadow of tear tracks on his face before he wiped them and we went to class.

Another fortnight had passed before I was boarding the Hogwarts Express with Hermione and Ginny. Harry and Ron were somewhere behind us. Seeing as though the latter was still not on speaking terms with Hermione, we were not sitting together.

"Draco's not going home?" Hermione asked as we got on the train and quickly found an empty compartment.

"No. He's staying at Hogwarts," I said, lifting my trunk up and placing it on the shelves above our seats. We sat down, myself across from Hermione and Ginny.

"Really? I'd've thought he wouldn't want mummy to be alone," Ginny shrugged, affectionately petting her pygmy puff that sat on her shoulder.

I bit my lip and looked out the window. Past Hogsmeade station, I could see the tall towers of Hogwarts castle. I sighed, knowing Hermione and Ginny would want to hear what happened. And, Harry was probably off telling Ron in another compartment.

"Well... about that..." I trailed off, looking at the other girls. "Harry and I overheard something the night of Slughorn's Christmas party."

They listened with raised eyebrows and wide eyes as I told the story of what we heard during the party. I started with how he declined my invitation to the dinner, and then was found around the hallways. Then I told them the conversation with him and Snape.

"Harry still reckons he's a Death Eater, then? That Malfoy's got the Mark?" Hermione asked after I'd finished.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"What do you think?" Ginny asked me.

"I'm tired of everyone asking me that just because I'm his girlfriend," I groaned. "But... well, I'd reckon Harry's right, isn't he?"

"You do?" Hermione asked in a rather high voice. When I looked at her quizzically, she said, "Well, it's just that I also found Malfoy's actions a bit dodgy, but I wasn't going to say in front of you if you didn't..."

"No," Ginny was shaking her head, and looked to me. "I know you care for him, but you can't let the acceptance of the truth be stopped just because of that."

"You sound just like Harry," I sighed, noticing Ginny's slight blush. "Speaking of, I'm going to go look for him. I'll be back."

I stood and exited the compartment, walking the length of the train as I looked for my brother and a certain redhead. I stopped when I saw Lavender Brown breathing onto one of the glass compartment doors.

In the condensation, she drew a heart with an arrow threw it, writing Ron and her's initials in the heart. I gagged quietly, and when she was done, cleared my throat loudly. She jumped and looked at me.

"Oh, hi Giovanna! I'll just be in my way..."

"Yeah, you will. Buh-bye now," I scowled, and she quickly walked off. I glared at her drawing before pulling the door open and stepping in with the boys. Harry had just finished telling Ron about Draco and Snape.

"You're sure that's what Snape said?" Ron asked.

"Positive," Harry said, then looked to me for confirmation. I nodded. "Why?"

"It's just- you can't break an Unbreakable Vow," Ron frowned.

"I- I worked that much out for myself, funnily enough," Harry said, and I turned my laugh into a cough quickly.

Pointing to the drawing on the window, I smirked and said, "That's lovely."

Ron leaned closer to Harry and I desperately. "All she wants to do is snog me. My lips are getting chapped- look!" He leaned even closer, and Harry and I backed away.

"We'll take your word for it," Harry told him quickly.

A moment later, Hermione walked to the door and stopped, noticing Lavender's drawing. I saw her face fall, and she turned and walked back to our compartment.

"I'd better go," I sighed, standing up. I cast a look back at Ron before leaving. "And you'd better sort your feelings out. I won't have you hurt Hermione any longer."

Ignoring Ron's protests, I left their train car, and made my way back to my own.