Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

[03.2] The Silver Servant

❖ ❖ ❖

There was never a day since that she would leave without the knife, and then she took the main thoroughfare and always returned before the sun had set. Noi insisted she take Whitebill, but Isla would not hear of it. The erne was the only thing that could keep Noi and Haana safe.

So the days passed, and slowly the man in the alley became a distant threat. She never saw him again. The man in the coffeehouse was another matter, though he never showed up for long nor caused any suspicion.

Even so, Isla made sure her daily commute coincided with the city guards' patrol of the Eastern Markets. She would wait until they passed below her window before running down to follow a short distance behind. Haana would take her to the door and wave from the window, and every afternoon, Isla would return with something new to make up for her neglect.

Now they were into their second week. Haana had grown tired of mancala, and there were only so many card games one could play. She even started cooking during the day; small cakes made especially for Isla. They were awful – not that Isla had the heart to say – that she would take a bite on her way to the coffee house before feeding the rest to one stray cat or another.

'This one is called knucklebones.' Isla had barelyshrugged out of her coat before presenting her latest gift.

Haana dropped the iron she had been using to poke the fire. Isla joined her by the hearth, pouring out the contents of the small, wooden box onto the hard floor. Their salamander scurried out of the fireplace, dragging soot by its tail, and investigated the seven tiny pieces of lamb shanks that lay in a heap.

'You're supposed to bounce the ball and pick a bone before you catch it.'

The salamander leapt after the small ball as Isla demonstrated, sending Haana into a fit of laughter. 'You're good!'

'I've had practice. I used to play with my –' Isla caught herself. They never spoke of Tam Mai. It always reduced Noi into a depression. 'I often played with my sister. She would eat the bones if you left her alone with it.'

Haana laughed some more, and Isla with her, though it was only amusing in hindsight. Tam Mai had choked on the bones once, and their father had to jolt it out of her. At least she learnt her lesson. Tam Mai had never heeded warnings without first testing things herself.

'Can I try?' Haana held out her hand. Isla passed her the rubber ball.

She was a quick learner, soon enwrapped in the game. Hopefully it'll occupy her for days. Save me the trouble of more cakes. Isla left her on the floor, settling on a chair and continuing the book she had left the night before. That was how Noi found them when she entered, bearing a basket of warm bread.

'Something for dinner,' she said. 'Aldir will arrive any minute.'

'I didn't know you had gone out.'

'Only a quick run to the inn.' Noi dragged their coffee table closer to the seats by the fire; two rickety old things only made comfortable by a plethora of cushions. Isla rose from the comfort of her seat. She took another armful of patched cushions from a nearby cabinet and was arranging them around the chairs when a rap came from the door. Noi fixed her hair and dashed to welcome their guest.

Whitebill immediately launched off his perch to greet Aldir, leaving the rack free for Noi to hang his coat. 'Terrible weather,' he said apologetically, as though he were to blame.

'You're as pink as a piglet.' And his hand was freezing when Isla took it.

He smiled. 'It is good to see you again, too.'