Chapter V

Varian had been working in his new lab day and night. He felt empty inside, like he was missing everything. Ruddiger wasn't there, Aquaria wasn't there, his father was still trapped in the amber, and his new friends just didn't feel like real friends.

He was starting to drive himself crazy without Aqua in the lab with him.

"Don't leave the flame on, Var."

"Thank you, Aqua," Varian murmured to himself, knowing that it was just her voice in his mind. He turned off the flame and looked down at his calculations.

"I've tried everything, Aqua. How am I supposed to get this into a substance that can become a gas? Nothing is working. It keeps exploding," Varian said to himself.

"Did you try adding more of the mineral and some water? Grind up the gems and add the water before adding the wand's power into the formula."

"You're a genius, Aqua!" Varian quickly got to work and Andrew watched him through the slightly open door.

After he walked away, Andrew met up with the other Saporians.

"That boy is losing him mind," Kai said but Andrew hummed.

"As long as he gets the Quirineon to work, I don't care if he talks to himself. He's on our side and he knows the weaknesses of both princesses. We need him. For now at least," Andrew said to which the others nodded.

💧

Aquaria walked into the castle, being met by Elsa and Anna as soon as she walked in the front doors.

"Aqua! You're back! Kristoff told us you went to see Grand Pabbie so we didn't know when you were coming back!" Anna hugged her tightly when she saw that Aqua was crying.

"What's wrong?" Elsa asked as she wrapped her arms around her sister and Aqua.

"I just... I had some memories and... I just need some rest..." Aquaria's voice was barely above a whisper.

"Come on, I think I know what you need," Anna said gently.

The three of them went to Aquaria's room and got snuggled into bed.

Anna let Aquaria curl up against her as Elsa gently rubbed the young girl's back. Ruddiger curled himself against Aqua's chest.

"Where the northwind meets the sea, there's a river full of memory," Anna started to sing and Aqua closed her eyes.

"Sleep, my darling, safe and sound. For in this river all is found." Anna's voice faded into Varian's voice. Aqua pictured him holding her close as he sang.

"In her waters, deep and true, lie the answers and a path for you. Dive down deep into her sound, but not too far or you'll be drown," Varian's voice rang in her head.

"Yes she will sing to those who'll hear and in her song all magic flows. But can you brave what you most fear? Can you face what the river knows? Where the northwind meets the sea, there's a mother full of memory. Come, my darling, homeward bound. When all is lost, then all is found."

Aquaria cried into Anna's side until she fell asleep.

Anna felt horrible for Aquaria, not wanting to know how hard it must be for her. She wanted to help but she knew that she couldn't just erase Aqua's feelings for Varian.