26. Intimacy.

During dinner with the Goldstein's, the decision was made that Newt would stay at Esther's apartment as Jacob has been obliviated and Tina wanted nothing more to do with Newt Scamander. Newt is fast asleep in his cot within his magical case. Scratching at the surface of his case stirs him awake. With squinted eyes, he climbs up the stairs but is awakened by screaming down the hall.

"Esther."

Filled with adrenaline he dashes down the hall and slams the door open finding Esther thrashing within her sheets. He jolts to her side attempting to tame the beast that has taken over the timid witch. He calls out her name repeatedly desperately trying to catch her attention. She appears to be awake with wide, dilated eyes, yet she is not in a conscious state. As a last attempt, he pulls her into a strong embrace where her convulsions slowly stop, and weeping is heard instead of cries for help. His arms vibrate from her body while her breath staggers into a calm rhythm. Newt runs his long fingers through her frizzy hair while her head rests on his shoulder until the room rings in silence. Meowing is heard from the other side of the bed from the feline who alerted the wizard.

"I'm so sorry for waking you." Esther croaks muffled by his shirt.

His chin rests on her head kissing her hair.

"Come now, don't apologize. What matters is that you're alright." he shushes.

He pulls away from her to inspect her condition. She averts her eyes from his as he scans for any cuts and bruises. Droplets fall from her chin onto his palm, unsure if it could be sweat or tears. Chills creep down her arm causing her body to stiffen from his gentle touch.

"Sorry." he murmurs.

Her eyes fixate on the damp sheets too humiliated to look at him.

"Why don't you go down into my case. I'll make you some tea."

He rises from the bed to take her clammy hands towards the living area.

Newt twirls his wand towards a worn kettle. The bottom of the metallic pot turns a blazing red and steam pours from the spout. Newt peers at the bowtruckle tree where Esther sits next to it speaking to the lot. A smile creeps on his tired face. He turns to his work desk were a jar of dried tea leaves were and placed some in a cup with the hot water. He scratches the back of his head as a yawn escapes. His eyes open to see Beans sitting on his cot.

"Is this normal for you?" he wondered aloud.

The striped cat squints his eyes at the wizard then yawns. The wizard let out a hefty breath. He must be tired if he was expecting a cat to answer him. He leaves the cup to steep and leans against the doorway of the hut to admire Esther from afar with his arms crossed. The occamies piqued an interest in the witch, slithering over towards her. With a free hand, she opens her palm to them and lowers it for one of their heads to rest above it. Her mouth moves as if she's carrying an engaging conversation with Poppy from the tree.

"Is she always like this? With creatures?"

The sneazle meows. Newt turns to the cat with a chuckle.

"I'll take that as a yes."

He looks back at the steaming cup, nearly forgetting it. He walks further into his hut in search of the swooping evil. He tucks his finger within the pouch and the creature wraps it's tail around it. With a flick of his hand, the swooping evil illuminates the hut with its luminescent scales.

"So sorry. I wasn't anticipating needing more." he apologizes to the creature that saved all of New York.

With a gentle squeeze, he obtained a drop of its secretion into the cup. The translucent tea immediately began to glow a vibrant cyan. He replaces the swooping evil into it's home then moves to gather Ester.