Chapter Thirty-Two

NOVA'S EYES WERE AWOKEN WITH A NEW SENSE OF CLARITY. Her limps no longer swelled with each movement, her head no longer aching with dizziness. For a moment she almost forgot that she wasn't safely on earth in her bedroom in Dallas.

"Thor?" She called quietly into the spacious room she laid in.

Nova sat up when she heard no response, swinging her aching legs over the edge of the bed. She wondered why her fever suddenly broke after days of unconsciousness. Standing on wobbly legs she took in her surrounding admiring the gold accents on the walls. Even a year after her accident in New York, her leg still failed to move with perfect grace. She stumbled into a doorway connecting to the room her eyes wandering to the familiar blonde washing his hands in the sink basin in the middle of the tile floor.

Thor's body dripped with sweat as he ran his hands through his twisted hair. He failed to notice Nova approaching quietly behind him.

"Thor," she said again smiling as he finally turned around in shock.

"Nova what the hell are you doing walking around you should be resting!" he lectured as he abandoned the foundation to arrive at her side. He placed an arm around the small of her back taking some weight off her legs.

"I've been unconscious for days, I think it's safe to say I'm fully rested," Nova replied as her eyes wandered up the God's bare chest.

His lack of clothing and rough hands told her that he had been out training. She tried to ignore how close his naked chest was to her as she peeled her eyes up to his.

"How do you feel?" he said with a new sense of calmness.

"Hmm, well my chest still stings but I'm up aren't I? And I happen to be very bored of looking at the same wall all day."

Thor chuckled deeply tilting his head down to nestle his nose in Novas soft locks. The gesture seemed like an unspoken word.

"You need a bath," he mumbled after a while pulling his head back up to smile at her.

She laughed pulling away from his body to cross her arms firmly, "and here I thought you were going to tell me something sweet."

"I assure you I'll tell you all about how beautiful you are after you bathe and get some food in your system."

Nova rolled her eyes as he grabbed her face in both of his hands staring into her deep brown orbs. His lips parted as he drew in closer to her delicate skin. For a moment the girl was nervous to stand beneath the powerful man.

"Once you are clean I'll take you to the garden and explain everything."

•••

Nova Lee stared at herself curiously in the mirror. The reddish in her scar still stretched out beyond her clothing's covering. The gown Thor gave her was something she never thought she would see herself wearing. Pale blue with long draping sleeves that almost touched the ground. The clothing was a silent confirmation that she really wasn't on earth any longer. She didn't know anything about the people on Asgard or how they lived. Nova didn't even know why she was there.

"Wow," A voice spoke from behind her making her turn quickly.

Thor stood at the doorway now dressed in a grey shirt with a shawl covering his shoulders. He looked comfortable, at home.

"I don't believe I have even been granted with the pleasure of seeing you in a dress."

His smile was wide as he took long strides up to her. Nova Lee's cheeks flushed with nervousness as she looked down at the light gown sweeping against the floor.

"Well this isn't exactly considered casual clothing on earth," she mumbled quietly.

Thor noticed her unease and took her hand in his heading her to the doorway. Before they made it out the door Thor grabbed a cloak from the side of his room and brought it over to the girl. He settled it over the brunettes shoulders meeting her eyes with great intensity as he pulled the hood up firmly around her face.

She tilted an eyebrow up at him in confusion, "you're hiding me aren't you?"

This action only made her arrival on Asgard more troubling. If she wasn't welcomed there then she would have no means to protect herself against the unearthly people.

Thor tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear which seemed to be a tactic to calm himself rather than her.

"No no no," he said quickly keeping his hand placed on her skin, "I just do not want to overwhelm you with new people when you've just begun to recover."

Thor tried to look away from her worried brown eyes and instead took her hand in the palm of his.

Walking through the halls made the situation feel much more real. Nova took in every aspect of the structure, marveling in how tall the gold pillars stood above her. People walked past in gowns similar to hers but with hair much longer and faces more golden. She knew Thor covering her would be for her own good. The brunettes short curly locks and freckles would be a clear sign of her origin. It seemed as if people on Asgard were unflawed, perfect even, which was something that Nova felt she'd never be.

When they finally made it outside it felt like the air was sucked out of the girls lungs. She stood in awe running her fingers along every beautiful growing vine, smelling ever blooming flower. If there was one place that felt like home to Nova, it was there. Thor stood back and watched her react to the sight in front of her. He could never seem to drop the uprising grin on his face when the mortal was around. Her presence brought a settling feeling of peace.

"You've changed," Thor said after a while taking a seat on a gold embroidered bench, "in a good way of course."

Nova turned looking at the man curiously as she slowly made her way back to his side.

"How so?"

The god thought for a moment remembering the girl he met a year ago in New York. She was timid and contained, she always thought but never spoke. It seemed as though her shell had broke, or rather was forced open.

"You're much bolder than I remember."

Nova Lee let out a snort of a laugh almost as if the word amused her. She looked down upon the god as he sat and ran her fingers over a new forming leaf. Her eyes grew dark for a moment as the emotion vanished from her face.

"Earth will do that to you," she said with a sad smile, "it will suck the life right out of you."

———

here's a longer chapter for y'all, enjoy 🤍