Chapter VI

Varian was sitting in Aquaria's room after his Quirineon exploded.

"I can't do this without you, Aqua... I need you..."

He looked up from the drawing in his hands, tears streaming down his cheeks.

He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind, but he couldn't.

Varian was sat on Aquaria's bed with her between his legs, resting against his chest as he held her close.

"Sweetpea," Varian said softly and Aqua shook her head.

"Nope."

"Honey bunch? No, I refuse to call you that," Varian said as he thought hard on a nickname. "Beautiful?"

"I mean, that's just a fact," she joked and he chuckled lightly, kissing her cheek.

"That is true. You are very beautiful," Varian agreed.

"And you are very handsome, Var," Aqua said as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I am so glad that we are together." Varian sighed in content and Aqua smiled.

"Me too. Together forever," she said softly as she put her hands over his that were resting on her stomach.

"Together forever," he confirmed happily.

Varian wiped his tears, only for new ones to fall. He felt so guilty.

"We were supposed to be together forever... now we might never be together ever again... she has to forget... she will never forgive me... she'll hate me forever..."

Varian stiffened when he heard the door open.

"Varian, the princess is caught. She thought she could sneak back in," Andrew said and Varian forced himself to stop crying.

"I'm coming. Let's take her to the dungeon," Varian said before walking out with Andrew.

When they got to the dungeon, Rapunzel was just being locked in.

"Varian, how could you do this?" Rapunzel was furious with the alchemist.

"I want you to know I wish it didn't come to this," Varian said calmly as he knocked on the bars before grabbing them. "But when someone trusts you, and you betray them, well, this is what happens."

"My kingdom needed me. I couldn't do anything about the amber and I had to stay."

"Aquaria didn't have to," Varian shot back.

"Aqua did. She wasn't allowed to leave the palace grounds except for when I called for the evacuation. Aquaria went to find you as soon as I gave the evacuation order. She was found unconscious in the snow outside of your lab because she was trying to get to you," Rapunzel said and Varian nearly froze. "But I never meant to break my promise to you, Varian. We were friends."

"That's the beauty of my plan. In the end, when your memory has been erased, we can be friends again," Varian said as he started to walk away from the cell.

"But you're only making it worse. None of these people did anything to you," Rapunzel said as she grabbed the bars of her cell and Varian turned to look at her.