[33] Smile for the camera

'Fear has a large shadow, but he himself is small' - Ruth Gendler

Chapter 33: Smile for the camera

It was almost midnight in Paris and the elevator pulled us up five floors, with faint music in the background. Nate and I were the only ones inside. 

"You came back," I stated the obvious.

Everyone had gone out clubbing for our one free night in Paris. I hadn't expected him to think of me.

"You left your jacket," he raised his arm, where my clothing was slung over his shoulder.

I liked it there.

His classically handsome face fit so well against the backdrop of Paris - and my wildest imagination.

"Now that you and Jesper aren't joined at the hip," he said, "I wanted to make sure someone was still looking out for you."

His lips lowered onto mine.

"Why couldn't I look after myself?" 

With a ding, the elevator stopped moving and the doors opened. The floor was empty, and the doors to our rooms were on opposite ends. Navy blue carpet with gold encrusted edges lined the path. 

"I know you're fine, Georgia. I just wanted to make sure you were fine with me."

The look in his eyes was not something I had seen before. It was an exploratory gaze, soft yet determined. 

"What do you mean?" I whispered, wondering why he looked like he was about to tell me a secret.

Was this about Claudette or any of the Parisian girls he knew?

His hand reached for mine and our fingers entwined.  He pulled me closer. 

A door opened and banged shut, "It's late! What are you two still doing awake? You should be in bed, resting for the big day."

Nate and I jumped apart from each other, caught by Mrs Maythorne. She thought the other boys were all obediently sleeping in their beds.

Little did she know.

I took my jacket out of Nate's arms but he held onto my arm, not letting me flee to my room just yet.  He did it discretely, turning his body so that Mrs Maythorne couldn't see past.

He briefly leaned down and whispered into my ear, "Meet me tomorrow night after the event."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

I have no idea what madness the boys got up to in Paris that night.  Nate joined them after I went  to sleep.

But I was very, very happy to be wrapped up in bed.  

And at some point, when the sun was rising beyond my curtains, the door creaked open and  Jesper walked in.  He was drunk and trying his best not to make any noises that would wake me.  

I then felt him pause by my bed.  He raised the duvet and placed it properly over me.  Then he went to his bed and passed out on top of it.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

At breakfast the next morning, Mrs Maythorne was undeniably energetic. She ordered another pot of coffee for the table.

The boys looked wrecked.

"Will someone bring Hugo downstairs? He'll miss breakfast," she said, buttering her croissant.

We all knew that Hugo hadn't come back last night. No one wanted to be the messenger though.