first week and flying

Finding classes was hard enough for the first years, even without people blocking the hallways to get a look at her. And classes, classes were truly a struggle. She discovered that very quickly in her first class. Charms with Professor Flitwick, even though she had sat at the front desk, to try to get the most she could, she still had no idea what was going on. She had to constantly resort to her slate. At least professor Flitwick tried to help her. 

Potions was even worse, Snape, the man who had been surprised by her appearance during sorting seemed to hate her for some reason. At the beginning of the class, he faced them all, Hari, again at the front and gave a speech. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making," he began. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

Then he looked directly at Hari. "Potter!" said Snape, glaring at her, and yet refusing to look at her face "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hari put her hands up in an I don't know gesture, shaking her head. Snape's lips curled into a sneer.

"Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything." His sneer growing, "Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

Again Hari could only shake her head.

"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?" 

Hari could do nothing, only stay silent.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape was so close to her, looking her dead in the eyes.

Hari could feel tears welling up. 

"Answer me!"

Suddenly Ron had, a hand on her shoulder, she turned to look at him, her vision edged with tears. "She's deaf Professor, what do you expect?!" He looked livid.

Snape glared at Ron, then walked away. "For your information, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite, and a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek."

Classes were truly a struggle, but It was a relief whenever transfiguration came along. Professor McGonagall signed along as she spoke, which was ever so helpful, and when she called on Hari, which was rare, she understood as Hari signed back, not forcing her to use the slate as did the other teachers.

So far they had only been working on theory, not wand-work, but how would Hari be able to cast without speaking? From what she had read, only sixth years and older could.

As always, she could constantly see people watching her, people mocking her. She didn't fit in at all. Malfoy was the worst, apparently he was still quite annoyed at them for what had happened on the train, and was enjoying taking it out on Hari. Whether it was a snide remark or just a straight insult to her face, Draco Malfoy was quite an annoyance.

Without Ron, she wasn't sure how she would have handled it all, he was the only one she was comfortable with, leaving his side only to go to the washroom or girls dormitories, where she didn't really seem to get along with anyone. It had been on more than one occasion after a particularly hard lesson that he had just found her an empty corner and sat quietly with her while she cried.