0.9

chapter 9 

there was something in the way india walker thought that made her think that she wasn't special. all her life she had been insulted and teased by her boyfriends. they'd cheat on her and blame her about it, or block her when she didn't want to send them nudes. 

most of the time boys only talked to her because of her money, and it had happened so often that she had started to believe her. 

that's why when rafe had shown up in the picture with flowers and expensive gifts, she'd thought that there was finally someone who cared about her and not her money. 

she'd quickly realized that she had fallen for rafe's tricks and manipulation, and it had been too late to backtrack. instead of seeking her own approval, she sought for his, trying to make him happy and trying to be the perfect girlfriend for him. 

she'd fallen completely in love and he'd broken her. he'd degraded her to the point that she was scared to have sex with someone. she'd degraded her to the point that she felt like she was useless and only served as a decoration for rafe when they went to parties. 

it had taken her a while for her to start to heal from what rafe had done in the initial stages of their relationship, and she'd learned to shut off the pain she felt when people called her whore or a slut. 

but rafe's comments had always hit a soft spot like no one else could.

of course, her own comments to herself were always the harshest. she had always wanted to be that pretty girl in magazines, or like sarah cameron. what india didn't know was that she was all that and even more. 

she was still that insecure girl who everyone thought that had everything just because she was rich, but in reality, she wanted nothing than to live by the beach. no big houses, no expensive yachts, no fancy cars. just a little house beside a beach. 

she'd fallen asleep after going swimming with kiara, the exhaustion hitting her all at once. she'd passed out in the couch the moment she had laid down, and kiara had watched her face relax as she slept. she didn't know much of the girl, but only watching what had happened at the bonfire had her, sure enough, she was going through some things. 

the screen door slams open and in come jj and john b, their faces flustered. 

"you guys are not going to believe what just happened" jj shouts at the group. 

kiara shushes him loudly, and he scowls at her before seeing that she's pointing to india asleep on the couch. 

his eyebrows rise, and he watches india wake up and look around confused. 

"oh shit. sorry india" he apologizes, feeling guilty for waking her up. 

india rubs her eyes "no it's fine j no worries." she looks at his flustered face "what happened?"

___

"-and we were right outside like this" jj explains as he leans on the brick wall, his voice loud and energized. "and all we hear is bam! bam! bam!" he imitates hitting something with his hands while making sound effects. 

india watches him as he moves excitedly across the front porch, a hint of amusement on her face. 

jj turns to india. "they were knocking paint off the wall, indi. from the inside" he motions as if there was a window above him trying to explain what happened. 

"first off, look at this shit," he tells the team, walking towards india, who is sitting on the couch and leaning his head so that his hair is in front of her face.