01 - back to work,

two years later

two years later..

"Gigi," I walked into my grandmother's room, where my grandmother, Gladys, was quietly reading her bible. "Gigi?" I called her again. She highlighted something else in her bible before closing it, fixating her attention on me.

"Yes baby?" she reached over and sat her bible down on the nightstand.

"Lunch is ready," I told her approaching the side of the bed she was on. I handed her, her glasses before helping her out of the bed. She held onto my hand as we walked out of the room, and down the hall towards the living room and kitchen. "I made you, and G'Daddy's favorite,"

"Chicken potpie?"

"Of course, I know G'Daddy will be home soon so I made it a little early so it'll still be hot for him when he gets here." I said, sitting Gigi down on the couch in front of the TV, so she'll be able to watch her stories as she ate.

"You're too good to us, you know that? What we gone do when you leave?" Gigi smiled, caressing my hand. I gently grabbed her hand and returned a smile back.

"I'm not going anywhere Gigi, you and G'Daddy need someone to take care of you guys and I refuse to leave you guys behind like my mama did. You guys are like my second responsible parents." I assured her, planting a kiss on her cheek.

"I love you,"

"I love you too Gigi, call me when you're finished okay?" I said walking back towards the kitchen.

Two years later, I found myself laying low at my grandparents house. After what happened that night with losing Reese, I couldn't find the courage to continue on with that lifestyle anymore. Not after losing my best friend.

Precisely a week after Reese's funeral, I disappeared without any explanation—not that I think anyone from the crew needed one. No one reached out to me, or vice versa. I wanted to keep it that way, I felt as if they were better off without me. I couldn't stomach the thought of making the same mistake again, and causing someone else I cared about losing their life.

I changed my number, and switched cars to take precaution because I knew my enemies from that night were probably still on the hunt for me. I didn't go outside unless it was for work, or if my grandparents needed something from the store.

I planned on moving out of state once Reese died, but those plans came to halt once I was informed that my irresponsible ass mama was also moving out of the state, taking my siblings with her, but were leaving my grandparents behind.

I knew they were reaching that age where they were going need supervision, and as much as they've done for me throughout my life, I didn't want to take the risk of someone else harming them, or neglecting them.

It made my blood boil, knowing my mama didn't care to stick around to take care of my grandparents, the ones who loved her unconditionally even after all the wrong she done to them—but then again I expected nothing less from her trifling ass.