𝟬𝟬𝟰 1 step forward, 3 steps back

chapter four1 step forward, 3 steps back

chapter four
1 step forward, 3 steps back

$$

          Sometimes Izzy Windsor thought her life was passing through her peripheral vision in a blur

Sometimes Izzy Windsor thought her life was passing through her peripheral vision in a blur. Now, don't go scoffing at her, she knew what it sounded like. She knew it sounded stupid, but it was the truth. Because you see, she could remember the important moments like walking into the hospital and seeing the doctors trying to bring back her mother, despite the noise of the flatline echoing throughout the building. (She could still hear the piercing sound sometimes. It haunted her in her dreams.) But anything other than that was a complete blur.

There were times when Izzy would completely mix up scenarios and confuse them with another one of her memories. They just didn't seem important to her so she forgot them or confused them with something else that had happened to her. And not only that but the days started to pass by faster. Everything started to speed up. One second she was at her mother's funeral, then the next she was turning sixteen. October melted into December and quickly turned into April before she could comprehend it all. Then it was the summer again and the anniversary of her mother's death was on the horizon.

Izzy didn't know what to think of it all. She wasn't sure if she could even comprehend it. She just knew she had blinked and an entire year had passed.

The days after the kegger at the Boneyard had flown by, too. Once JJ fired the gun, Izzy's head began to spin and spin and it didn't stop until she realized a few days had passed. The world would have kept spinning on its axis without her knowledge had Rafe not dragged her out of the house and forced her to accompany him on a trip to the Cut. (She drove, of course, while he rode on the stupid motorcycle he wasted his father's money on.) She didn't know why he wanted her there anyway, but it all passed by in a blur, and pretty soon he was barging out of a trailer looking frantic. She didn't bother to ask him what had happened, she just went along with it.

The rest of the day went by quickly after that. Hours turned into minutes and minutes turned into seconds until the moon took its spot in the sky while the sun was laid to rest. Normally, Izzy would have gone home and turned on her webcam, but Rafe had other plans. He claimed they had to go to the party Topper informed them about earlier that week. He didn't tell her why he was so intent on going, but she didn't put up too much of a fight. She realized the night would go by fast anyway, so she might as well be in a room surrounded by people rather than stuck in her vacant house with only the stars to keep her company.