Sixteen

"I'll have you know, a deep tenderness grows for you, who have stained me. I find that all that exists around me now, is full of you."

Segovia Amil

There were only three things I was brutally aware of: I was in an extraordinary amount of pain, I was in an unfamiliar bed, I was not alone.

My head was pounding and there was a deep ache across my limbs. Any small movement I tried to make had my wounds burning. I had been stripped down to my underwear, my injuries wrapped - and hopefully cleaned - very little of my skin was untouched; most of my body had been covered by bandages.

"What happened?" I tried to ask, my voice raspy and broken. Speaking only a few words left my chest feeling tight, and my throat hoarse. I tried to sit up but a firm hand on my shoulder kept me in place in the bed.

Thane.

"I thought you were going to die."

No amusement, no exaggeration, just a blunt, awfully frightening statement. His expression matched the tone of his voice, his features drawn into a fierce scowl directed at me - as if it were my fault that I was attacked.

"I'm tougher than I look," I joked, the cracking of my voice proving that I was anything but tough in this moment. I was injured, vulnerable. I wanted nothing more than to burst into tears, a reaction I found unexpected. I wasn't usually one to cry over physical injuries, but this pain was like nothing I had ever felt before. He didn't respond to my awful attempt at humour, instead fixing me with a dark, stony stare.

"Where are we?"

"A patrol cabin," he answered shortly, words clipped. He wore a plain grey t-shirt stained with blood - my blood - and black shorts. His unruly dark hair was in disarray, and dark circles stained beneath his eyes. He looked exhausted.

I surveyed the room - what little I could see of it from my position on the stiff bed. The cabin was simple, barely furnished with only a bed and a door to what I assumed, hoped, was a bathroom. The rest of the room remained out of view.

How long had I been unconscious for?

Certainly enough time for my bladder to need relieving.

"I-" I sighed deeply, face scorching hot upon my oncoming request. I had never felt more embarrassed. I averted my guys from Thane's intimidating stare. "I need to go to the bathroom."

There was no question that the single most embarrassing moment of my life was having my Alpha carry me to the bathroom so I could relieve myself. I was completely unable to even look at him throughout the entire ordeal, my cheeks remaining scorching hot as I imagined a furious blush overcame my pale complexion. Thankfully, he seemed unbothered by it all, and I could only hope that we never spoke of this moment again.

"How long does it usually take you to heal?" He asked, once I was settled back onto the bed, this time propped up with pillows so I could at least face him. Though I wasn't sure I wanted to. Still his solemn expression remained, and I couldn't sure whether his frustrations were directed at me, or at the situation.

"I've never had injuries to this extent before. I don't know."

"You need to rest then, the more sleep you get the faster you'll heal."

I was feeling petulant; I didn't want to do as he told me. Yet I was exhausted. My head had not released its ceaseless pounding, and my eyes was ever so heavy.

***

When I awoke, Thane still accompanied me in the cabin, yet this time in the form of his wolf. The giant beast took up most of the bed, curled by my side, close enough for his thick, black fur to bush against me with every breath, but not close enough to apply any pressure to my still healing wounds.