Clay

I don't own Avatar the Last Airbender or Naruto. Good thing, too, cause if I did then it would probably never be done.

one hour earlier▪

Kakashi had been having a pretty good day.

He had put his little minions through one of Gai's obstacle courses, and had laughed when they got stuck in the quicksand pit.

After he had dismissed them (early, because at the end they could hardly move, so caked in sand and mud as they were) he had headed off into the town.

There had been a sale in the fresh food market that he liked to stop by, and he had been able to pick up plenty of meat for much less than it usually would have cost him.

Then he had successfully avoided Gai himself, and his equally disturbing green protege, something that did not happen very often. Gai seemed to be able to almost sniff him out, much like Kakashi himself could do.

So yes, he had been in a very good mood.

Until he received the hawk that signaled that he had to head to the Hokages' office.

Immediately.

Oh, joy!

So, here he was, an hour later, right outside the tower, and trying not to feel too annoyed as he reached for the doorknob.

The door opened before he could even touch the metal, revealing a worried looking Choza and a dazed Inoichi.

That was odd. The blond clan head held a hand over his eyes, moving oddly for any normal person, much less a ninja. He almost looked to be stumbling, but that was.....

Kakashi moved aside. Choza steered Inoichi through the doorway and down the street.

Okay. That was weird.

Kakashi entered, a faint feeling of doom descending upon him as he started through the hallways.

▪▪▪

The Hokages office was a total mess. Kakashi stepped around a pile of rubble (It looked suspiciously like the floor tiles but there was no way-...).

"Good afternoon, Kakashi," the old man greeted him.

"What in the world happened here?" The Copy-nin asked, waving a hand at all the destruction.

"A certain young lady who, I admit, I antagonized, made usage of her unique talents." The Hokage smiled wryly. "I have a jonin especially skilled at doton manipulation coming as quickly as possible, but he won't be here for a while yet."

Oh. That was news. The Lord Third didn't look too concerned but Kakashi filed away the information in his head.

He whipped out his Icha-Icha book. "So what do you need me here for?"

A few ANBU twitched, no doubt annoyed at his rudeness in front of the village leader, but Hiruzen waved them away. "There's someone I need you to keep an eye on."

A spying mission? That was nothing new, but surely the Hokage knew that he had a genin team now and couldn't really leave for an extended period of time. His minions weren't good enough for any sort of infiltration mission yet, either.

He reminded the Hokage of these facts, but the old man just continues flipping though the immense stack of paper on the desk he sat behind.

"This mission is rather... unusual." Hiruzen slid a manilla folder toward him.

Kakashi stepped up and began to read.

He paused. The target was a young teenage girl, her eyes a faded grey. Something about her vacant stare was off-