01 lose the vineyard vines

THE BEST PART OF LIVING ON AN ISLAND, Talia thought, was that it was flat, perfect for skateboarding

  THE BEST PART OF LIVING ON AN ISLAND, Talia thought, was that it was flat, perfect for skateboarding. She could tell her mother she was going skating and be on the other side of the island in 20 minutes, which is what she did almost everyday. Not that her mother would care where she was going, but being secretive with her mother was fun. Her mother stopped caring what she did and who she did it with as long as she showed up to her all-important social events. It was her brother that she truly had to worry about. Ever since their dad left a year ago, Talia's brother Topper assumed the role of 'dad', which meant hating Talia's friends. Talia couldn't care less, she would rather have her brother disapprove of her friends than hang out with his crowd, known as the Kooks.
   Talia approached the unfinished house, which was not far from her own. She was perspiring slightly from her ride, the humidity making her hair frizz slightly. She could spot John B, one of her best friends and de facto leader of the Pouges, on the roof with a beer in hand. She chuckled slightly at the typical John B move, doing reckless things that would somehow never actually lead to him getting hurt. Maybe his recklessness and living life on the edge is what attracted Talia to John B.

She didn't know when her feelings for John B began, but when they did, it was a lot. She had joined the Pouges with her best friend for life, Kiara, lovingly nicknamed Kie. They rejected their Kook lifestyle of the parties and trips to the country club to hang on the Cut, known as the wrong side of the tracks. She and Kie became close with a band of misfits, which included none other than John B Routledge, the fearless leader of the Pouges. He was obnoxious, loud, and got on Talia's nerves more than she would like to admit, but she couldn't help but love him. Every time she sees his dopey little smile and kind eyes, she falls even harder.

Talia climbed the unfinished exterior of the house to find the boys of her group, sitting around chatting, with Pope pointing a drill at John B.

"Evening, boys. Where's Kie?" She asked, taking a seat next to JJ on some scaffolding.

"Roaming the house, seeing what she can swipe. Care for a beverage?" JJ asked, handing Talia a beer and draping his arm over her legs. People outside of their friend group might think JJ and Talia were an item, but they don't know JJ. He is about as flirtatious as they come, which means putting the moves on any female around him. Talia knew this and didn't mind, she knew it would never go farther than friends with JJ.

"There gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kie told the crew, walking out of the house and through the scaffolding, her brow furrowed in anger.

"Of course they would, why wouldn't they?" Pope asked, still pretending to shoot John B.

"This used to be a turtle habitat." Kie informed the group, glancing at the scenery around her.

"But who cares about the turtles, right?" Talia finished, causing Kie to look up at her and JJ, sending a smile as a greeting towards Talia.

"Thank god you're here, the testosterone was getting to be overwhelming." Kiara told her best friend, gesturing to the goons around her she called her friends.