Chapter 68: Beyond Skin Deep

Lennox POV

As expected, the national government agency withdrew the 'probing' that they gave me.

Within two days, they made the probing request void and insisted that it was only a systematic mistake on their part.

It's laughable, really.

How could it be a mistake when they sent the probing request straight to my office? In actuality, they even disclosed that matter to the media first before it even got to me.

They're obviously trying to save face, because the whole thing backfired on them.

Actually, when Millen mentioned before that she overheard that the national government had a plan like this, I brought up the situation to my political advisors.

With their collective wisdom, we have examined the possible outcomes if the national government eventually proceeds with their plan.

From our analysis, we figured that the a lot of people expressed their dissatisfaction on the way that the national government handled the typhoon calamity. Many were not given compensation and there are still a lot of people who haven't recovered from that yet.

In that crisis, a large majority have figured who are the ones that are truly competent and who are not.

I do not think that I deserve the commendation that the public is giving me since I was just doing my job. Nevertheless, I am flattered. In fact, my political advisors considered this variable the most.

"If they proceed with a plan of tarnishing your reputation by falsely accusing you of charges or other ridiculous reasons, I am sure that a larger part of the public will sympathise with you." one of the political advisors said.

"Indeed. Additionally, since the people are already dissatisfied with the way they handled the crisis, them probing you for no justified reason will only ignite the citizens' anger towards them. Perhaps, it will really be a turning point for most, to be vocal and stop turning a blind eye to incompetence." another one stated.

It's not easy to change things overnight but I believe that the probing incident was a step towards that...

At least, from that, the people are assured that their voices could be heard. That, they could grieve and express their concerns when the national government is reeking of injustice.

Also, due to the clamour that the incident created, more and more are opening their perspective in politics.

After all, politics is not an isolated, abstract concept that only matters during election time.

Somebody's politics is their world view - whether they think certain human beings deserve rights and how they think the world should be.

I want to believe that someday, there would really be a new system in this country.

One step at a time.

Even if just one citizen got enlightened from the clamour that it created, I reckon that there is hope...

While reading the new policies in front of me, I suddenly felt my eyes closing, pulling me into a doze. Somehow, I feel like there's an invisible force behind it.

Within a peculiar dream, I felt like I was watching a movie.

The surroundings were very vivid and although I was inside the movie, no one could see or hear me, as if my only purpose was to be a bystander.

Suddenly, I saw a petite girl with curly brown hair and hazel-green eyes.

I shivered instantly upon looking at her, since she evokes familiar feelings within me. Why am I seeing this person?