Chapter 68

"How did that many Beta wolves worm their way into packs without us noticing?" Francis asked, watching Krey pace back and forth in front of the door. Wolves had to time their exits and entrances around Krey, not daring to get in his way.

"This has been going on for years. They've had time to settle and earn our trust," Krey muttered, trying to think about the pack, but constantly thinking about Pip instead. "Did I do the right thing?" Krey stopped pacing and stared at Francis with his cold hard eyes.

"The right thing?"

"Should Pip be with me?"

Francis tried to show only calmness, but she was worried about Sid and Pip. "I think you would have regretted taking him to the heart of the fighting."

"Where do you think Sid will take him?"

"Somewhere where they can hide. Sid will keep him warm in his wolf form. I don't think anyone would expect you to let him out of your sight, so I think they'll be okay. I don't think anyone will be searching for them."

Krey's palms were sweaty. If anything happened to Pip, Krey would spiral and blame everything on himself. Krey wasn't sure how his mother had pulled through her grief. Krey wouldn't be able to live without his Pippor. "I hope not. They won't get far with Sid's injury."

Francis rested against the back of an armchair and fiddled with the silver ring on her thumb. "I'm just shocked that so many Beta's are traitors. How did the South find so many rogue Beta wolves?"

"I'm not shocked," Krey muttered, staring up at the clock on the wall for the third time in two minutes. "Jordan lived with us for years, and he was the Southern Beta's mate. Yeah, he was a twat, but he risked his life for my dad many times. If that didn't prove his loyalty, then I don't know what would."

"I suppose this will unite the North. Everyone has been betrayed by the same pack."

"I suppose it will." Krey and Francis looked at each other with the same solemn faces.

* * * * *

Pip gripped Sid's wolf form as tightly as he could, but Sid had a harsh limp, threatening to dislodge Pip from his back with every step.

Pip couldn't look back to see if wolves were still chasing them. His head was tightly pressed into Sid's neck.

Sid ran and ran, struggling up hills and through thick snow, but he didn't give up, even after he jumped over a fallen tree trunk and landed awkwardly. Pip fell from his back then, but Sid licked Pip's cheek as an apology and encouraged him to climb onto his back again.

They ran for almost an hour until Sid was sure that nobody was following them. He slowed down, so Pip could sit up on his back. Sid emerged from the trees and stayed close to the edge of the woods. Pip soon climbed from him, and Sid transformed from his grey wolf, to his human form.

He winced from the pain in his arm. Changing back moved his bones. The pain was almost unbearable, but Sid simply gritted his teeth until the pain simmered.

"I-Is your arm hurting worse now?" Pip asked with arms around himself. He stared all around them, then stepped into the sun, which wasn't hot, but enough to make his skin feel a little less frozen.

"It's okay." Sid looked around too. "I didn't know where to run. We should keep moving. Walk along this bit, so we don't leave tracks." Sid pointed to where the grass met the raised path. There was a little gap where no snow had fallen.

They walked along the cliff side for a while until the path curved back into the woods. "This path leads to another Packhouse." Sid paused. "They're allies, but with the Beta situation, I'm not sure this is a good idea."