chapter six

C A L E B 

After such a tiring day at uni, I had to show up at work about an hour or two later. So, after having had a filling snack to compensate for missing out on breakfast, I dropped Dustin over at his place and drove myself straight to work. Surprisingly, I had showed up just on time. Quickly, I grabbed an apron and tied it around my waist and took my usual place behind the counter.

"Thanks for covering for me," I said. 

"It's no problem, you're on time today!" Olivia grinned. "Anyway, you better get started now. I'll get going." I bid her goodbye and watched her leave with a small grin. Olivia was the first person I had met when I'd been offered a job at this place. Because I was still in college, I didn't have the time to look for a full-time job, but I still had to find a way to pay the bills after having cut ties with my parents. She made me feel at ease right away and had this positive aura around her, you couldn't help but smile in her presence. 

That was three years ago, when I was just nineteen. We had gotten closer over the years, and I considered her a good friend of mine. Yet, after things at uni got so hectic and the issue with my parents was worsening, we barely got time to communicate properly. Now it was just a matter of greetings or goodbyes, and I was too nervous to ask for her number so we could text each other in our free time. 

I quickly put my thoughts aside when the bell let out a soft chime, signifying the arrival of a new customer. I forced a smile onto my face and greeted them with the most energetic sounding voice I could muster, "Hello! How can I help you?"

The older man who appeared to be in his forties gave me a judgemental look before snatching a menu from the counter-top. He skimmed through the pages quickly and set it back down on the table, ready to place his order, "What would you suggest?"

"Uh.." I began, scratching my neck awkwardly. "I don't know, sir. But if I had to, because I'm vegan, I'd say you should go for an espresso with almond milk."

"Then I'll have that," he nodded. "Make it quick, I haven't got all day."

"Yes sir," I nodded before conveying the order to a fellow co-worker. Barely five minutes had passed before his order was ready and I called out his name which had been sprawled across the paper cup. As I did so, Dustin's words rang through my head the first time he visited our shop: "Woah, you guys are like a wannabe Starbucks. I love it."

The man, somehow appeared grumpier from having to wait just three minutes, and snatched the coffee from the counter-top, taking a quick sip right there and then in front of me. Geez, slow down old man, you're going to burn your tongue off. 

Right after he had done so, he spat it right out. A look of disgust overtook his features. "You call this coffee? Get out of here, you people are worthless." And with that, he threw the disposable cup at me - and in the process, the lid tipped off and the boiling contents inside spilled all over my uniform, for the second time that day. 

I let out a hiss in agony and grabbed a handful of tissues. I glared up at the customer while rubbing at my apron furiously with the tissues, "Can you be at least a little more respectful? You know, it takes a lot to stand here and pretend to be so damn cheerful when met with bastards like you."

"What did you say, you-," he began, but was cut off by another male arriving to his side. He was of decent height, probably a few inches taller than me, and had dark hair that was neatly styled to the side. He had charming chocolate brown eyes which complimented his golden skin. "I'm so sorry," he began with a voice like honey. "Are you alright?"

I gave him a look of confusion. Was he asking me that? "I-I'm okay, thank you," I assured with a small grin. He nodded at me with a look of concern before turning to the man beside him, "Dad. This is why I don't go anywhere with you. You need to stop making a scene."

"Me? A scene? Why don't you say that to this little f-"

"Dad, that's enough. He's just doing his job. Go wait in the car, I'll be out in a minute."

The older man, now seeming like nothing but a toddler, stormed out of the shop with a scowl on his face - and my knight in shining armour looked over at me. 

"I'm so sorry about him, he tends to behave like a kid sometimes," he said with a pained smile. "Are you sure you're okay? That looks like it hurts." 

"It does, but it isn't the first time it's happened today. I guess I learned from my little practice session earlier today," I said. Why was I suddenly talking so much? What if he thinks I'm weird?

"I'm sorry," he repeated, his brows creasing together in frustration. "This isn't right. Can I have your number?"

"M-My what?" I stuttered, making sure I had heard him right. 

"Your number. Let me make it up to you later," he suggested with a pleading look on his face. I quickly shoved my hand into my pocket and pulled my phone out, handing it to him. He did the same. We exchanged numbers and he looked up at me, "What should I save your name as?"

"My name's Caleb," I said. 

"Okay, you can save my name as Matthew," he said with a charming grin. I nodded in response and typed in his name before shoving my phone back into its usual place. He bid me goodbye and left the store right after and I watched him leave with a smile on my face. 

At least one good thing came out of today.

IMPORTANT!: a lot of you seem to have a problem with Caleb being vegan ; and there are comments saying "of course he has to tell people he's vegan" and all that. I'd just like to make a request; please don't comment stereotypical things against vegans. I don't want any of you judging each other in the comments. Please don't attack people for their food choices. It doesn't feel good seeing everyone comment hateful things against a vegan protagonist. I wanted to involve different types of characters; like I've involved non-binary, transgender and pansexual characters in my other books as well - so I also figured: why not add a vegan protagonist as well? So, please stop judging. I'd really appreciate it! <3 Have a great day x (This isn't comparing sexuality to food choices by the way, it's just an example of different characteristics that different characters of mine possess.)