Chapter 32 - Junkyard

It was the next morning and you, Tripp, Javi, and Clem were in Tripp's van, on the move to the junkyard. You looked to your left and you see Clem staring out the window with a sad look on her face. You gently touched her shoulder, which snapped her out of her thoughts.

Y/N: Hey... You okay?

Clementine: Yeah... Just remembering Wellington.

You let go of her shoulder and grab her hand.

Y/N: It's okay... It's okay.

She gives you a heart-warming smile before looking back out the window.

Javi: Hey, guys. We almost there?

Y/N: Yeah. We're getting close.

You sat in silence while Javi and Tripp talked. You soon see the familiar looking junkyard.

Clementine: Guys. That's the place. 

Javi: Oh, shit...

You all got out of the van walked up to the entrance.

Y/N: Goddamn... Looks like a tornado ran through here. 

Javi: Kate's good in a crisis - she'd know how to find shelter.

Clementine: What's that?

Javi picks up a pick hammer, kills a nearby walker, and picks up a cassette player.

Javi: Mariana's tape player... Mariana! Mariana, are you here?

???: Javi!

You see a girl around your and Clem's age emerge from one of the cars. She runs at him and hugs him.

Javi: You're safe! I can't believe it!

Mariana: You told me where to hide: I just listened to you said.

Javi: You did exactly what you should've done. I always knew you were a smart kid. 

Mariana: It was scary at first, but once the muertos couldn't see me anymore they just passed by.

Javi: Kate, and your brother -- where are they?

Mariana: We got pulled apart when that huge group of muertos showed up. I think Kate yelled that they were gonna make it to the van.

Javi: Then that's where we're headed.

Tripp: Let's go find your brother, sweetheart.

You all walked until you came across a smoking, destroyed van

Javi: Oh, no... They must've seen it like this and went someplace else.

You heard a car starting up. Tripp, Javi, and Mariana ran towards the sound, leaving you and Clem.

Y/N: Well... there goes our end of the deal.

Clementine: Of course. When can we ever catch a break? I just want to catch a break for once...

She's on the verge of tears. You walked up behind her and hugged her. She turns around and hugs you back.

Y/N: We still have each other, huh? We'll find a car, but if we can't, we'll still be fine.

Clementine: I guess... Thanks.

Y/N: Anytime. Now let's go join the rest.

You both walked back over to the group. Javi was hugging a woman (Who you assume is Kate). They pull away and notice us.

Kate: Oh... who're the kids? Are you going to introduce us, or are you going to make me?

Javi: Clementine and Y/N are friends. I wouldn't be here without them.

Clementine: Hi there. Glad we could help.

We all walked back towards the gate.

Y/N: Javi. You still owe us a working ride. We haven't forgotten about the deal.

Javi: Don't worry, I haven't forgotten either.

Clementine: I know it's not an easy thing to come by, but--

Mariana: Cool.

You turned your attention to her. She picked up a pair of headphones from the group. Javi smiles as he shows her the cassette player. She smiles.

Mariana: Thanks.

:(

That was the last thing she said before a bullet flies through her head.

Javi: Mari!

Y/N: Shit! Get down!

Everybody ran into cover.

???: You fuckin' thieves! You really think you can waltz back in here like nothing happened? Ha-ha, I don't think so.

You see Kate standing up.

Y/N: The fuck are you doing?! Stand down!

She doesn't listen to you. She runs out of cover and goes over to Mariana's body, getting shot in the process. Javi runs over, picks up Mari, and gets Kate back into cover.

Tripp: Javi, we can grieve later, but right now Kate needs a doctor. We gotta move man!

Y/N: We stay here and we finish this.

Clementine: They already killed one of you. If we do nothing they'll just come after your family again.

 Gabe: What? No! Javi, you have to come with us! Javi, please!

Javi: Get her back to Prescott. We'll cover you.

Gabe: Javi?!

Tripp: Give me a hand here, kid!

Y/N: Just keep firing until they're out of sight, okay?

You began shooting at them. You got a couple of them, but one soon throws a grenade over to you. You quickly look at it, then at Clem.

Clementine: Y/N, don't!

You don't listen to her. You run, grabbed the grenade and threw it back to them, but you were too late. The explosion sends you falling back into a wall, causing you to black out.