Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After taking a shower, brushing my hair, and then applying on some mascara and eyeliner, I stood in front of my closet, just staring.

The weather said it would be chilly, what a surprise, so I picked out a dark maroon colored shirt with a black leather jacket. I pulled on some light jeans and vans, then went to grab my phone.

I looked to see there was a message from an unknown number.

Unknown: hey sweetie, you ready for tonight? ;) -Ryder

I wondered how the heck he got my number.

Ruby: how'd you get this number??

Ryder: I have my ways...

Ruby: ok? And yeah, I'm pumped!

Ryder: alright then babe, see you in a few ;)

I chuckled and slid the phone into my back pocket. I checked the time and it read 6:47. Crap, I had to get there soon.

Running down the stairs, I came to a halt when I saw my mom in the kitchen, scribbling furiously on papers.

"Hey mom," she was never home this early and I was shocked.

She looked up from her paperwork and smiled a smile I haven't seen in a while. "Hi sweetheart," the name suddenly reminded me of Ryder, ugh. "Where are you going?"

I tucked my hands in my pockets and shrugged. "There's a fighting competition downtown, one of my, uh, friends is competing." It felt weird to call Ryder a 'friend'.

"Oh, okay. Well, be safe and don't be out too late."

I went over to her and hugged her tightly. "No problem mom, love you."

"I love you too sweetie."

There was suddenly no stopping me now. Yeah, I felt a little bad for leaving my mom on a night where she was home for the first time in ages, but she seemed so caught up in paperwork that I didn't want to bother her.

I opened my garage and there it stood in all its glory.

My shiny white Ducati.

I grinned largely and hopped on the bike. I loved the feeling of the leather seat between my thighs, the cold metal handles in my grip, and the rev of the engine when I drove.

No one knew about my motorcycle in this town except my mom and me. I haven't ridden it yet since I got here, so I basked in the joy of the having it under my control again.

The ride there didn't take more than twenty minutes. I sped along the highway and the streetlights bounced reflections off the sides of my bike.

After driving around downtown slowly a couple times, I finally found the Oaks Bar. It nestled in between two tall brick loft buildings and an alleyway led to another in the back.

I had always hated these places. Cold, dark, eerie, and quiet. There were a few guys leaning against the bar building, eyeing me up and down and dragging a cigarette from their mouths.

I avoided their eyes and took the keys out of the motorcycle. I walked quickly through the alley and came to a small little building. With every step, I could hear loud bass music pumping through the walls.

A large man dressed in all black stood in front of the doors. He crossed his arms and blocked my way.

"Invitation miss?"

I raised an eyebrow and mimicked his position. "My friend's in there."

He shook his head. "Sorry, but only members are allowed in here."