Chapter 49: Sign of the Times

Just stop your crying
Have the time of your life
Breaking through the atmosphere
And things are pretty good from here
Remember everything will be alright
We can meet again somewhere
Somewhere far away from

"My mom was an extremely warm person,"

Talking about my mom in front of our family and friends is the most difficult speech I had to  do in my entire life. Working in the advertising industry gave me the confidence to speak in front of a crowd but I have never thought I will in these type of setting. Never in my wildest dreams that I thought I will speak in my mother's eulogy, at least not this early.

"Mom was my first best friend," I continued as tears started falling from my eyes. "My first fashion icon, she was also great in giving relationship advises." I chuckled, then the crowd laughed. "But above all, she was the first person who loved me unconditionally especially at times that I did not even know how to love myself." In tears I looked at her shiny casket, "Mom, I know that you are in a much better place now, watching us from heaven, I love you to the moon and back."

The memorial was beautiful, Tom was the one who organized it all based on what mom wanted. I could only imagine how hard it was for him to talk about funeral plans with her. But I really admire his courage and his love for my mom..

Everyone was there, Aunt Mary was there, Liam apparently was not able to join her because he got caught up with work. But I got to talk to him thru FaceTime yesterday and he is getting married and he lives in Colorado now.
My dad and Claire were there too, my Gran and some of my moms cousins. Even her former co-workers from the Mayor's office are there and Tom's friends and family. I also saw Hailee Steinfield.

"Hey, how are you holding up?"

My thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Blake from behind. She flew from Manhattan yesterday and stayed at the Hotel downtown. I offered for her to stay in the house but she did not want to burden me as Aunt Mary stayed with me.

We were at the function hall near the chapel, Tom went to crematorium to be with mom and I was left to thanks the guests.

Taking a deep breath I looked at her, she was wearing a black silk long sleeves cocktail dress.

"I don't think I'll ever get over losing my mom, but knowing that she is no longer in pain gives me peace." I tell her.

After my eulogy, I made up my mind of finally letting her go. She will always be in my heart, but I didn't want her to go without peace because she worries about me.

Blake pulled me in a tight hug. "Sweetie, I wish I can take some of the pain so you won't have to go through this," she carress my back which gives me comfort. I thank God for Blake. Really. "Tell me what you need, I can stay,"

Shaking my head, I loosen our embrace. "Fashion Week isn't over yet and you've worked hard for it," I refused. I can't hold off other people's life because I am grieving. Besides I am surrounded by people who loved mom and that will help me move forward.

"Okay. When are you going back to New York?" She asks after a while.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I am not sure, I think I'll stay here for a while, you know cherish the memories of my mom. I know it's too late but I just want to be in her presence as much as I can,"