18

...

WHEN THEY RETURNED TO the clearing, Clarkson was sitting on the log, a group surrounding him. The complaints they had were so loud they even reached Ella's ears and by the sight of Clarkson's deep breaths, she guessed he was probably refraining himself from attacking them. A wicked smile appeared on Alex' face then and he turned around towards them, his eyes gleaming with mischief.

"Okay," he said," I'm off to annoy Clarkson as well. See you later, mes chouchous."

"What?" Ella blinked.

"Don't reply, just nod," Levi said, while nodding solemnly himself.

"I have no idea what he said," Will said, a warm smile on his face.

"Should we follow him?" Ella frowned, unsure whether she took more pity on Clarkson or Alex at the moment.

"Definitely not," Levi said," let him vent all his annoying energy there and he'll come back calmer."

"He isn't a dog," Ella frowned.

"Or is he?" Will said with a raised eyebrow. He couldn't keep the mysterious gaze going for long though, his expression quickly crumbling in his usual gentle amusement when he laughed. "No, I'm kidding."

They took a position by the trees then, Levi leaning against one as she and Will sat down. Watching the teens run around, leaving chaos in their wake wherever they went, was fun and Will told her stories about whomever passed them. During the conversation she let her back rest against Levi's legs, but despite what she had expected he didn't freeze up. Instead he glanced at her with something almost akin to warmth, before focusing his eyes again on where Alex and Clarkson were standing.

She had to give it to Clarkson. Though Alex was being very persistent in following him around, the man hadn't tackled him yet. When Alex started mirroring his every move, she wondered how long that would take.

Sure enough, she looked away for a moment and a fuming Clarkson was walking their way, Alex' wrist caught in his grip.

"Take him back," he said when he reached them.

"But sir," Alex whined," I was learning so much from you."

"What if we don't want him back?" Levi deadpanned.

Will smacked him on his shoulder in a chastising move when he got to his feet, before opening his arms wide.

"It's fine, Alex," he said," come here."

"Will," Alex said, his voice touched.

He ran slowly in Will's arms then, their hug brief but dramatic. Levi expression was as natural as ever though, like he was more than used to this. She didn't doubt it. Meanwhile Clarkson was watching it all happen with a more perplexed face than ever, before shaking his head and walking away.