Chapter 10: Naked Mole-Rat

Author's note: Dedicated to nerdygirl_005 for leaving me hilarious comments on every chapter. Also, big thank you to TishonieSam for the cover on the right.

Here you go!

****************************************

Chapter 10: Naked Mole-Rat

"Three eggs?"

"Three eggs."

"Sugar?"

"Sugar."

"Chocolate chips?"

Luke didn't reply.

"Chocolate chips?" I asked again, glancing up from the list Mrs. Miller had given us and raising an eyebrow at my Home Ec. partner.

"Oh," Luke said, pretending to sound surprised. "I don't think we have any of those."

"Luke," I began, with a sigh. "I know you ate the chocolate chips."

"What?" He frowned, as if he had no idea what I was talking about "I would never!"

"I can see the packaging sticking out of your pocket..."

Luke shoved his hand into his pocket, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You're an idiot."

"Touché."

"Do you even know what that means?"

"Do you even have a life?"

"Idiot."

"Loser."

I let out a growl of frustration before going back to checking through my ingredients, deciding that we would just have to survive without the chocolate chips.

"Are you coming to the bonfire tonight?" Luke asked, leaning against the counter as he watched me work.

After spending the last few weeks as Home Ec. partners, Luke and I had developed a routine. I would do the work and he would eat said work. It wasn't the most ingenious idea, but it kept us from ripping each other's throats out or starting food fights, which for us, was as good as it got.

Mrs. Miller, to my utter dismay, did not separate us despite the havoc we had caused during our first class together. She had, however, given us a stern warning and threatened to have us transferred to Wood Shop if misbehaved again. Luke did not seem too bothered by her warning, but I was left terrified. The thought of being forced to give up baking in order to learn how to make a birdhouse was enough to make me never misbehave again.

"I don't think so," I mumbled, in response to Luke's question.

Earlier this week Austin had asked Georgia, Alice and I if we wanted to join them for a bonfire at the beach. Of course, I had flat out refused, claiming I had too much homework to do.

Truthfully, I had already done most of my homework and would most likely be spending the evening watching old Gossip Girl episodes.

"Why not?" Luke questioned, frowning at me.

"I have too much homework to do," I lied, hoping he would just let it slide.

"You're lying."

"How would you know?"

"Because you're a terrible liar," Luke said, rolling his eyes. "And that's the worst excuse you could've picked. Now, why don't you really want to come?"

"Why do you care?" I sighed, crouching down and pushing my cookies into the oven.

"I don't," he said, flatly. "I just want to know why you don't want to hang out with your boyfriend."