Chapter Six

This amazing cover done by @Michelle2994

* * *

The maid's arms and legs had cuts on them; huge, ghastly, and definitely not self-inflicted. I watched her in horror as her body continued to swing from side to side. I needed to compose myself before I walked out of the barn. Chandler and Castle were waiting outside for me, and I needed to report this to Devin.

When I backed out of the barn, my body collided against Castle, who stood at the entrance, staring at the lifeless body stoically as if the scene before him didn't bother him much.

"Castle, come with me," I told him.

He didn't react to what I'd said, so I had to reach out for his hand and pull him out of there. I felt chills all over my arms as the scene kept playing in front of my eyes. I shut the door of the barn door behind me and told Chandler to call Devin immediately.

"Why? What's in there?" He asked. His curious green eyes reminded me so much of Devin. Chandler was like a miniature version of him, and Theo looked similar to Castle.

"Nothing," I answered carefully. I didn't need the child's curiosity to be piqued when he would only see nightmares for the rest of his childhood and adult life.

"I want to see too!" He argued.

"Chandler, I really need you to go inside the mansion and call your brother. Please."

"Well, you can't order me around." He said, and his tone surprised me. "This is my house. And you're just another maid."

"I'm a caretaker, not a maid. There's a difference. And even if I was a maid, that's not the way to speak to someone much older than you."

"I can speak however I want with anybody I want, and what I want right now is to see what's inside that barn!" He screeched like a bratty kid that he was.

I was thankful to be recruited as a nanny for Castle and not Chandler; it was no wonder the boy didn't have a nanny. He probably insulted them left and right.

"Chandler, apologize." Castle said softly.

Chandler's lips were pursed, but there was something in Castle's tone that subdued the ultra-bratty mouth of his.

"Sorry." He said and ran towards the lawn. Trixie followed her little master.

Devin wasn't answering his phone so the only way I could get hold of him was if I summoned a maid and asked her to deliver the message, or I could go to the mansion and look for Devin myself but that meant I needed to leave the area of crime. If I left the barn like this, the killer could come back to tamper with the evidence.

As if on cue, I heard the sound of hooves moving towards us. I turned to see Devin riding a handsome brown horse in our direction, and he looked everything like a knight in shining armor, or a prince living in a castle, one that you read in books about. But this man right here was not imagination but a reality.

When he approached us, the horse came to a halt smoothly and Devin smiled at me, unaware of the horrors inside the barn. "Good Evening, Miss. Davis. You look lovely today." He flirted good-naturedly.

Castle stared at his brother with a scowl on his face. And if I knew better, I'd think he was acting jealous, but that was stupid of me to think like that. How could Castle be jealous? He didn't understand things like attraction or anything related to those matters.

Devin sensed there was something off because he said, "Is everything alright? I saw Chandler running inside the house, being very loud and being on his best disobedient behavior."