part nineteen

jj's pov

"are you sure you're not just like trippin bro," pope said.

"no i am not tripping bro," i threw a pillow from the couch into his face. "i swear we almost kissed."

"i'm still not understanding how you went from screaming at her to almost kissing her within like 12 hours," kiara said.

"i told you! i went there to apologize and-"

"see that's the part i'm not getting," ki pried. "why would she let you come into her house after what you said?"

"i-," i began but paused as i didn't know how to explain the situation without exposing myself. i didn't want to tell them that i may or may not have had a minor.. ok, major panic attack, because ki was already up my ass about how i should properly deal with my feelings. i didn't feel like having to hear her bullshit again.

"ok enough of the interrogation can you please just tell me what the hell i should do?" i whined.

"what? you mean when you see her again? you don't know what to do because your just so madly in love with her?" kiara teased.

"ki," i groaned.

"i called it. didn't i call it pope?" kiara stated, looking over to the boy on the couch who looked completely unamused with the conversation.

"just make a move on her! she's nice and hot," pope shrugged.

"pope!" kiara scolded.

"you been smoking or something man," i smirked.

"no, just tired of hearing your love-sick ass babble on," he chuckled. "so just hook up with her, i don't know why that's a problem for you, you do the same thing with other girls all the time."

"i-," i stuttered out, not knowing how to say what i wanted to say. "it's just.. it's different," i sighed.

i grabbed a blunt off the counter and headed out to the hammocks outside. i sat down and then realized kiara had followed me.

"i've never seen you like this about a girl before," kiara said, taking the joint from my fingers before taking a drag.

"don't say it like that."

"like what?" she questioned.

"like this is some kind of fairytale love story," i mumbled. "it's not, nothings going to happen."

"so what? you're just going to go back to being mean to her and that's it?" kiara pressed.

"i'm not gonna be mean to her," i stated. "i don't know, maybe we'll be.."

"friends?" kiara finished my statement. "so you're gonna be friends with her and just hide your feelings?"

"there are no feelings ki," i muttered.

"sure there aren't j," she said, rolling her eyes.

"shit what time is it," i said, realizing the sun was beginning to go down.

"uh i dunno, maybe a little past 7?" kiara said, not quite sure of her statement.

"fuck i gotta go," i said, quickly getting up from the hammock and striding over to the van. i remembered that hannah told me to meet her at the wreck tonight when she told me her shift was done.

"what? gotta go meet your girl?" kiara joked. when i didn't answer her she realized her joke hadn't been a joke at all. "wait- wait.. are you actually-"

"yes," i grumbled, before opening the car but before i could close it kiara jogged over and stuck her hand out to stop me.

"can you not do anything stupid?" she said.

"i'm not going to get involved with her like that," i began, "that would be stupid."

"would it really be, jj?" she questioned, looking at me with sympathetic eyes.

"yes," i said and closed the door.

"i'm not good enough for her," i mumbled under my breath before pulling out of the lawn.

i pulled up to the wreck just as i saw hannah walking out. her hair was messy and her face looked flustered but she was still smiling when she saw my van.

"you actually came," she said as she walked over to my window.

"you doubted me?" i said, pretending to be offended. "there's two surfboards on top of the van."

"i can see that," she laughed.

i rolled my eyes, "so do you want to go surfing before the sun sets?"

"wow, are you actually asking me to hang out," she scoffed, trying to hide her smile.

"hannah" i groaned, before she cut me off.

"does the jj maybank actually want to be friends with a kook like me," she held a hand to her chest, pretending to be surprised.

"just shut up and get in the car," i breathed out, smiling.

she rolled her eyes and smiled back before hopping into the passenger seat of the van. i drove us to the beach and got the surf boards down from on top of the car.

luckily hannah had worn a bikini under her clothes, a trick she learned from kiara as she insisted it is 'the only way to be prepared for anything in the outer banks.

"jj?" hannah called after we had been in the water for a few minutes and surfed on a few ways.

"yeah?"

"are you okay?" she asked softly.

"oh, yeah," i replies quickly, "totally fine."

"jj," she said again, looking at me with concern.

i bit the inside of my cheek before meeting her eyes again, "i don't usually.. ya know... break down like that."

"i don't mind," she said and i can tell she meant it. "you can talk to me... you know, now that we're apparently friends," she grinned.

"thanks," i said, returning the smile.

"but not before i beat your ass to this wave," she called before lying down on her board again and beginning to paddle fast.

"shit," i muttered jokingly under my breath and i heard her giggle as she got up on her board.

once the sun had set i drove hannah back to her house. she got out of the car and started walking up to her door before stopping and turning around.

she strolled back over to my window and stuck out her hand in front of me.

"friends?" she said. i looked down at her hand and then back up to her eyes.

"friends," i repeated, taking her hand in my own.