Chapter 3: Kitten

After staring blankly at the spot the demon vanished from, Kat finally found it within her to start cleaning up the mess. She did the best she could scraping the wax off the floor but it looked as though it was going to leave a stain.

Eventually she made it to bed but she was so on edge, every little sound set her off and she couldn't sleep until the sun was coming up. At that point she only had two hours to rest before the alarm went off, letting her know she had to get up and get ready for the audition.

She'd already taken a shower last night but her body was so tense she decided to try again. She tied her curly hair back in a messy bun, the best she could manage since her hair would not be tamed. She got in the shower and let the heat hit her shoulders, hoping to ease some of the tension.

Kat walked out of the shower and wrapped herself up in a towel before wiping the steam off the mirror. She glanced down at her makeup bag and wondered how easily she would be able to cover up how tired her eyes were today. She looked up in the mirror and saw the demon in the reflection. She screamed and spun around.

"What are you doing??" She hissed, clutching the towel tightly.

The demon's eyes briefly dropped up and down her body before returning to her eyes. He seemed much calmer than he'd been last night.

"I want to go home," he said simply. "And you are apparently my only ticket there. So we need to work with each other," he said, gesturing between them.

"Are you insane?? I'm practically naked, get out of my bathroom!" Kat said, pointing to the door.

"I noticed," he said, raising an eyebrow. "If you didn't wear clothes like you had last night, you might not live alone. It actually seems to be not too bad under there," he said, his eyes darting down her body again.

"Oh my God! Get out!" She said, pushing him to the door.

"Fine but I do expect cooperation when you're done getting dressed," he said, letting her direct him out the door. "And please don't refer to that tyrant in my presence," he added bitterly.

She slammed the door shut and rested her forehead against it, breathing in and out to try to remain calm. It was all insane and she didn't know what to do but she did know she didn't want to miss out on this audition. She'd worked too hard for it and she wasn't going to let some paranormal being get in her way.

Oh, God, I am going crazy...

There was no time for craziness. She quickly got dressed and put on makeup, letting her hair stay down but using detangle to get it to look as nice as it would. She put on a nice white shirt and black pants and did just a little makeup before coming out.

The demon was lounging on her bed, holding a picture frame that she kept on the nightstand. He looked over when she came out and she pointedly ignored him, going into her closet for boots and a jacket.

"Right," he said, sitting up. "A name. Go ahead."

"I'm not giving you a name to kill someone," Kat snapped.

"Don't be ridiculous. Of course you are," the demon said, tossing the picture onto the bed. "Everyone hates someone. Just pick anyone. It could even be some terrible leader in this country or even another. A neighbor you hate. Some pervert you heard about on the news. Just pick someone so I can go home."

"I'm not going to be an accomplice to murder," Kat hissed, slipping her boot on. "And you know what? I don't have time for this. I have an audition that I've been painstakingly preparing for and I'm not going to let you ruin it."

"The audition for that stupid play that gave you the words to actually summon a demon?" He scoffed. "Aren't you worried you'll summon another?"

"Now that I know what to avoid it shouldn't be a problem," Kat snapped, standing up and slipping her jacket on. "I have to go now. Leave me alone. This is important to me."