XVI|"Oh no, my poor James,"

*not edited*

Melody

"So you're telling me you've been in prison for a year for no reason," I state, staring at Cayden who was still hold his neutral expression since starting the story.

Cayden nods and shrugs, "there's a guy in there, been there for 10 years because his brother framed him for murder, a year is nothing," geez

I sigh, "I get that, but it's still something and it's just not right, so are you guys working on fixing this? Trying to figure out how the drugs got there in the first place?" What was this guy's problem anyways?

Cayden stares at me, a calculating look, "so you're just gonna believe me? Don't you wanna be sure first?" Damnit here I go again being impulsive

I nod, "erm, yes definitely, proof?"

Cayden shakes his head at him, holding in a laugh, "you're really bad at this. You ever done anything thinking it through?"

I gasp at him offended, "yes I have, there was this one time-no wait- it was actually the other time or... yeah this is new to me..." I pout, shrugging I say, "I even opened my bakery on impulse,"

Cayden stops holding in his laugh as he chuckles, "how are you still alive? You know I wouldn't be surprised if you joined a gang on impulse at this point- stop looking at me like that, you're not joining my gang,"

I frown and slouch against the couch, "Awh, I really wanted my badass leather jacket moment,"

Cayden rolls his eyes at me, "You can have that, without the gang,"

I narrow my eyes at him, "Damn, I even have a sad backstory, I really should've joined a gang on impulse instead of opening the bakery,"

I sit up straight, realising we've diverted from the main topic here, "we're getting distracted. I believe you okay, but that's as long as you answer my questions when I ask, no hiding or riddles, I want simple answers,"

Cayden nods, "okay, you trust me, that's great, but can I trust you? How do I know this isn't all part of Warren's plan and you're not with him?" the calculating look is back in his eyes as he stares at me.

I frown at him, "Hey, that's not fair! I didn't ask any proof from you," I cross my arms and turn towards the blank tv screen. How do I prove myself though?

I mean thinking about it now, it is a little suspicious that I somehow ended up visiting Cayden and now he lives with me, oh dough, am I working with Warren?

I was about to turn around, when I felt a warm hand on my jaw, turning my face around before I could process anything I felt a pair of soft lips on top of mine, it was light, just slight feather touches.

My flight mode kicked in and I pushed Cayden away, standing up, "Cayden! What are you doing?! Why would you do that? What possessed you to do that?" I kept rambling questions, until I remembered, "oh no, my poor James, he can never find out,"

At least it wasn't my first kiss. But still!

I notice Cayden smile when he heard James's name, "proof, I trust you,"

I wave my hands around, gobsmacked, "what-what kind proof is that?!" Does he just go around kissing people when he needs proof??

He shrugs, "your reaction is proof enough you're not working with a Warren," what even?

I groan in annoyance, "but why did you have to make it weird, is that how you generally get your proof? You know checking people's background is a thing,"

"Tried that, betrayed me once," he stares at the blank tv screen, so his just not going to answer the first half of my questions?

Narrowing my eyes at him, I decide to sit on the single couch this time, ignoring Caydens amused glance.

My heart was still beating like crazy and are those butterflies in my stomach...? Ew! I tried calming my heart and decided it was best to go back on the main topic since we keep getting distracted, we'll just have to pretend like that the last few minutes never happened...

"So what's the plan?" I ask.

Cayden turns towards me, "if Warren was there every time you came to visit me that means someone's clearly been keeping him informed. That possible also means he should be hiding somewhere close if he wants to keep an eye on me," wouldn't that mean this Warren guy knows about me?

I furrowed my brows at him, "then he knows you're here and what exactly does he get out of all this?"

Cayden's Jaw twitched as he responded, nice jawline "he's a sick bastard, has a big thing for ruining people's lives," he said a bad word...

I suddenly remembered another thing, "wait, what did he mean that wasn't his name? Why did you get his name wrong?" Surely Cayden couldn't have embarrassed himself in front of a gang leader by getting his name wrong...

Cayden sighs and rolls his eyes, have his eyes always looked this good? "He's not a big fan of his real name, brings back a lot of memories for him, so he likes to go by Roux or X,"

I smile, "oh like Professor X! But actually evil," I notice Cayden staring at me with a confused raised brow and my face quickly falls, "oh...Sorry, bad timing,"

Cayden shakes his head at me, "Anyways, there has to be a way we can lure him in, the other guys are working on tracking into CCTV cameras hopefully, we'll get something soon,"

I nod and stand up, I can't do this, "anyways! I guess I'm done for today, of I go to bed," I still had so many questions to ask, but right now my head is filled with other matters.

Cayden gives me a weird glance and furrows his brows, "it's 5pm?"

I huff and turn around, "I have had a very tiring day, thank you very much,"

I don't wait for Cayden's response and make my way to my room, shutting my door and leaning against it, what was that? Why is my heart still going crazy?

I place a hand over my beating heart and take a deep breath, this can't be happening... Taking a deep breath I think about James, his almost daily visits to the bakery, his smile and that beautiful laugh, a smile making its way onto my face at that thought. I'm okay.

I close my eyes, hoping to clear the image from earlier with James's smile, but suddenly the images became blurry and is replaced with Cayden smiling.

"Nooo!"

- Authors Note -

Hey guys, hope you all are well.

Sorry guys the 'kiss' was sorta random, just go with it, I'm just throwing in random shit at this point, they might even get married next chap, who knows? Certainly not me🤷🏽‍♀️

Thank you for reading, hope you guys enjoyed the chapter 💕

Stay safe my loves 💕

(For my X-men fans; does it ever annoy you that Erik still has no idea about Peter😕)