part twenty

hannah's pov

"i'll pick you up in a little bit, once the boys show up," kiara called to me as i was walking out of the wreck after finishing up my shift.

"k see you then,"i yelled back, making sure to say goodbye to her dad on the way out.

the group had invited me to go out with them on their boat again, now that jj and i had been getting along. the reason i was going home and not just leaving right from the restaurant is because i was in charge of packing the cooler.

as i was riding back home on my skateboard a group of familiar boys stopped me, one in particular calling out my name.

"hannah!" the tall brunette waved.

"hi henry," i said getting off of my board. he had been talking with topper and kelce but walked a short distance away from them to approach me.

"how have you been?" he asked.

"good," i said tersely, looking behind him to see the two other kooks whispering. "looks like you've been taken to the dark side."

henry chuckled, "oh come on they're not that bad."

"mhm"

"i didn't get to apologize from last week," he began, "for leaving you at the party."

i was typically a nice person, even to rude people. however i couldn't help but roll my eyes at henry's apology. i knew it wasn't a family emergency the second i spotted topper in the passenger seat of his car as he pulled away from jj's house. probably some freakish drug deal going on, as i remembered ki telling me topper was involved in that shit last year.

"cut the bullshit henry," i said.

"uh what?" he stuttered.

"henry, i know you were lying," i took a breath before continuing, "and if you want to go hang with the kooks and all go ahead, but i haven't heard the best things about them."

"you know, i haven't heard the best things about the pogues either," he said, not denying that i had just caught him in his lie.

"and why are you telling me this?" i questioned.

"well if you aren't hanging around us you must be with them all the time."

"listen henry, i really don't want to argue about this, okay?" i said. "can we just agree to disagree and move on with our lives?"

"i'm just trying to warn you," henry stated with a shrug.

"warn her about what?" a voice suddenly came from behind me. i turned around to see a blonde head of hair coming towards me.

jj came to stand by my side and apparently topper and kelce took this as an invitation to also join the conversation.

"you really are just like sarah," topper smirked, eyeing me and then the boy next to me.

"what's that supposed to mean?" i scoffed.

"you're hanging out with the pogues for gods sake," he laughed.

"watch it man," jj grunted next to me.

"don't wanna end up dead like her, do you?" topper said, glaring at me.

jj grabbed onto him by his shirt collar at the comment which was a bad idea on his part, three against one right now considering i could be no use to him.

kelce grabbed jj's shoulders and tugged him back, allowing topper to pull back his arm and get a clean punch on the blonde's jaw.

just as jj was about to launch forward i stood in front of him and threw my hands onto his chest. i shut my eyes tight, in fear that i was about to to get accidentally hit by topper for cutting in. however, no punch came and i slowly turned around to see henry with a hand on each of the boys shoulders.

"come on let's just go," i heard him say. topper grunted before pulling away from henry's grip and turning around to walk the other way.

i looked up at jj who's eyes were ignited with anger, his chest heaving under my hands. i let them drop before beginning to speak.

"are you o-"

"are you still with henry?" he interrupted me.

"wha- no," i said. "we were never together in the first place."

"then why were you with just talking to him?" he questioned.

"he stopped me on my way home," i quickly said, "but jesus jj your lip. can you come with me so i can get you some ice."

jj touched his finger to his lip, bringing it in front of his face to see the blood.

"okay," he said before walking with me the rest of the way to my house.

when we got in i immediately made him sit down on the chair at the island and i went over to the sink to wet a wash rag. i walked back over to him and brought it up to his bleeding lip.

"ki's gonna kill me," he said after a few moments.

"for fighting topper?" i asked.

"no, for busting my lip open again," he clarified. "topper deserved it."

"did you used to get in fights a lot?" i said, walking over to the freezer to grab a bag of ice.

"you could say that," jj said trying to smile but failing, "ow."

i placed the bag onto his lip, holding up his chin with my other hand. i sighed as i looked into his eyes, butterflies erupting in my stomach for some reason.

just then i heard a car beep from outside.

"must be ki," i said. rushing over to the fridge and grabbing beers, tossing them into a cooler. "ready?"

jj nodded leaving the bag on the counter before following me outside.

"what the hell happened to your lip?!" was the first thing ki said as we piled into the van. and i just laughed as she scolded jj. he was right.

a week ago i would have never guessed i'd be sitting here alongside them with a smile on my face, but here i am, and i'm not mad about it.

-

authors note:
heyoooo so uh... next update is the update. i repeat, NEXT UPDATE IS THE UPDATE!!!

so until tmrw pls vote, comment, follow and add this to your reading lists!!

make sure this book is your library so you don't miss the chapter you've all been waiting for;)