Chapter 23

Haley

His floor was empty and big and I see a big desk outside a door.The double mahogany door stood proudly with his name and position carved neatly in a name plate that's stuck on the door.

"That will be your desk." He pointed out the most obvious fact. "You can decorate it, however you want. This phone." He pointed out. "You will be transferring important calls to me.." and I nodded my head. I know that, it's written on the file.

"This is my office." He said opening the door and allowing me to walk in first, again. It's a large room, neat and beautiful. The one side of the room is made with glass and that's where most of the lights was coming from. I see the whole city from here. I see table and sofas on one side of the room. I see a clear mobile glass dry erase board near the sofas with things scribbled over it.

"Any questions so far?" He asked.

"No." I said. "I just want to let you know from before hand. If I accidentally allow someone who's not suppose to be in- I'm sorry. There was many pictures and names of employees."

"I understand." He said coolly. "There will be some persistent one, like one of my ex." He rolled his eyes. "Do not let her in."

"Can't your security stop her from entering the building at all?"

"She always give them a slip." He sighed.

"You are talking about Josephine Kennedy?"

"Yes." He said. "Good girl, you remember the tough one."

I flushed a little.

"Someone will be here shortly to show you around. She's an assistant to a director. She never worked for me before.. be very vigilant when you speak with her. Her boss is a keen enthusiastic nosy man. He wants to know everything about my life."

I mumbled an 'okay'

Soon, I see a tall blond woman who was a little taller than me and was wearing a navy blue suit and skirt with pencil heels. Her hair was in a perfect bun and her blue crystal eyes was watching me curiously as Archer introduced us. I kept my professionalism and politeness and made sure not to slip his name a couple of times rather than calling him by his last name.

The blond woman, whom I learnt her name is Caitlin. She's been working here for seven years now. She must have started early as she look as young as me.

She first reminded me to check Mr.Rivera's schedules, and reminded me as soon as he cancels one-to book him another one. Reminded me to be on time, always. She heard that Archer doesn't take late very well. Reminded me to stay in my line and not to cross my professional and personal life.

She slipped out that his last assistant was all over the place and was flirtatious towards him and he rejected her and reminded her of her place and due to the embarrassment she left the company.

She showed me the room in the hallway where there's coffees and snacks for our bosses that we have to serve every once in a while.

"I would be surprise if you stick here for a year." She said with a smile.

"No one stuck here for a year?" I was surprised.

"No." She said. "He's very rude and impolite and very straightforward."

Maybe he have days when he's impatient and frustrated, but I doubt he's any of those.

We were walking back to my desk after she showed me around and I see a tall middle aged silver blond woman standing near my desk looking around impatiently.

"Here is the old b*tch." I heard Caitlin muttered and I thought I heard her wrong. "She's Mr.Archer's Aunt. Mrs. Lili Rivera whom everyone know-she and her husband is trying to snatch this company. Her husband and his Dad are siblings."

The name and picture flashed in my mind quickly and I recalled the information in the file. A very hostile woman- that was written in pencil, she must not enter his office when he's busy. I didn't understand what busy meant in the file. Isn't he always busy?

"Mrs.Rivera." Caitlin politely greeted.

"What a pleasant surprised, Ms.Jenkins." She looked at us and looked me up and down. "Where is the assistant?" She looked at me impatiently.

"Here, Mrs.Rivera." I said. "I'm Haley Lynne."

"A new face." She said not surprised at all. "I'm in a hurry, I have to meet my nephew." She raised her eyebrow at me.

"Mr.Rivera is on a video meeting this whole morning." Caitlin stepped in.

She rolled her eyes at us. "I'm sure he can pause his meeting to greet his Aunt."

"It's a very important meeting." Caitlin said.

She give us a cold smile and looked at me. "Book me an appointment with Archer this week." She looked at Caitlin. "Does she know how to do that?"

"It's her first day." Caitlin said.

"Of course." She rolled her eyes at me.

Caitlin showed me how to book an appointment for her. She lied to the woman that she can only give her fifteen minutes on Thursday as he's busy the whole week. I can see he have long gaps that day, but I get it why. He doesn't want to sit with her for long.

When she left- Caitlin looked at me. "For lunch, some assistants and I sit together to discuss about how hectic it is to be an assistant. Feel free to join us." She give me a smile.

"Thank you." I said smiling back. "I will join you guys."

"Perfect. Meet me in the lobby during your lunch break."

She explained to me what I should be doing.. I got Archer's schedule last night and went through it. I was responding to the emails that I was receiving from people- who wanted to book an appointment with Archer.

The phone rang and I picked up. "Haley, can you get Smith on the phone?" I looked for Smith's name in the phone book list and found he's the security head. Smith picked up the call and I let him him that Archer wanted to speak to him and then transferred the call to Archer.

The morning was busy with me still figuring out his schedule for the few weeks, getting him mid-snacks and meeting new people.

He have a meeting at two-thirty pm with some managers at the conference room and I think I have to be there to take down notes. I looked for the journal in the drawer and found it. I looked through the previous notes and was baffled as I couldn't understand from the notes. I guess the person was not fond of writing notes..