Chapter Eighteen

Stephanie walked into their apartment to see Abigail cradling her knees on the couch. The sound of the door closing caused her to stop staring into space and be pulled back into the devastating reality that she just saw Austin's face a few minutes ago.

“What's wrong Abbie? Why did you just run out like that? And who is that guy we bumped into in the grocery store? Do you know him? “, Stephanie blurted out her questions all at once as she placed her hands on her hips once more, awaiting to hear some answers from her friend

Abigail didn't even have the energy to speak up. She never thought seeing Austin for the first time after so many years would affect her so much. She wasn't prepared to see him, she didn't know how to react, what to say and how to say it. Warm tears streamed down her face as words got stuck in her throat. Whatever twisted game fate was playing with her, it just wasn't fair.

All she ever thought of was Emily. How was she going to break the news that the man she once told her was never coming back, was actually living in the same city as them? And that the very same man probably hates her because he thinks she had given up their daughter for adoption?

The look on his face, it was like he was going through mixed emotions when he saw her, like he was still deciding on how to feel or react towards seeing her

“Abbie, talk to me”, her friend sat beside her, her voice a lot softer than when she walked into the apartment as she pulled her onto her shoulder, running her hand up and down her arm

“I don't like seeing you like this. Say something, please”, Stephanie begged, but Abigail couldn't find it in herself to say anything, she just silently cried onto her friends shoulder.

Stephanie decided not to push the issue, she will tell her when she's ready to talk. She wrapped her arms around her, engulfing her in a warm hug. They sat there in silence, with only Abigail's stifled sobs echoing around the room, until there was a knock on the door.

Stephanie gave her one tight squeeze before she stood on her feet to open, only to meet the eyes of the tall figure they met a couple of minutes prior

“Hi, can I help you?”

“I'm looking for Abigail”, he stated, his voice firm and monotone

“I'm afraid she can't talk to anyone right now. What are you here in relation with? I'll pass on the message to her”

“She and I need to talk”, he tried to push his way inside the apartment, to Stephanie's surprise

“Oi buddy”, she warned as she stood in front of him, blocking his way with her tiny frame compared to his, narrowing her eyes dangerously at him. “I don't know who you think you are, but you have no right to try to bulge into my apartment like that”

“Listen here Miss, Abigail owes me a lot of answers, I will talk to her, whether you approve or not”

“You know what-”, she was already prepared to tell him where to get off before Abigail's voice interrupted her

“It's okay Steph, let him in”

She turned to look at her. “We don't even know who he is”, she protested, only to see her friend heave a deep sigh.

“That's Austin”, she breathed out only to see the other woman's jaw drop in surprise before turning to look at the man in front of her again

“Oh my God”, she grasped as it all made sense now why Abigail was worked up by seeing him. This was the man her friend cried over for years. She now could put a face to the estranged name.

“Come in”, she stood aside as he strolled inside, never for a second taking his eyes off Abigail

“I'll give you some time to talk. Call me when you need anything okay?”, she said her last statement to her friend who gave a short nod, and she walked to her bedroom. The tension in the room was growing big every second. She wanted to stay behind, but this was something Abigail needed to do on her own.