Chapter 11: Barrels Of Trouble

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me." - J.K Rowling

"Let's just ignore her. She probably just wants to brag about her and Carter's anniversary or something." Kelly said with a roll of her eyes, returning to her tray of food.

Vince and I did the same, except he returned to his phone.

"I'm sure you've heard about the rumor that's been going around lately." Serena's voice echoed as whispers was sent through the room

My fork dropped into my plate of entwined spaghetti. Rumor? I should've know her little announcement would have something to do with that. I looked over at Kelly who mouthed to me 'Ignore her' before going back to her meal.

I did so again, picking up my utensil like before.

"It's no surprise that Carter and I have been together for a very long time now and today I'll be setting an example for all you girlfriend wannabes out there." She announced, snapping her fingers.

With my focus on my lunch I barely noticed the two seniors that had removed the lid of the barrel and made their way over to our table. I looked up to see what they were doing and before I knew it, I was drenched in some kind of liquid. The cafeteria erupted with laughter.

I shot up out of my seat and flicked the draining liquid off of my fingers. My hair was soaking wet and I reeked of lemon. But that's not all. On the floor with the remains of liquid were fish guts and bones.

I didn't know how to react. It seemed as the laughter just increased every second and I did what my legs were ordering me to do.

Run.

I dashed through the cafeteria doors bumping into teachers with papers in their grip, causing them to fly up in the air. Conscious of where I was going this time, I bolted into the girl's restroom.

I pushed open the stall and locked it behind, dropping onto the floor into a ball. My tears weren't visible because of the sour liquid draining down my cheeks. I shook the small fish bone off of my right shoe.

Today was officially the worse day of my life.

*

"Cerise? C'mon, I know you're in here."

I lifted my head up that had been down for some time now. It was Kelly. Her voice was getting closer to the stall I was in.

"Serena's stupid and immature. Please, where are you?" She sighed pushing open the wrong stall

"I-I'm in here." My voice sounded a bit raspy. I had been in this bathroom for at least fifteen minutes now.

"Cerise, open the door." Kelly said in a sympathetic tone, knocking lightly on the stall door.

"Just go to class. I'm fine." I said muffled, through my arms

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, that crazy lunch lady watched the whole thing and Serena and those jerks went up to Thornton's office." She said on the opposite side of the door.

Actually, that didn't make me feel better. Just worse. I got up, ignoring the slight pain in my knees from staying in the position I was in too long and opened the door.

"What is that smell?'" She coughed, covering her nose in the process

"Sniff." I told her, sticking both arms out to my side. Like how they patted you down for dangerous weapons.

She leaned in close, taking the scent of my shirt and retreated immediately.

"That has to be the second worse thing I've ever smelt." She says, fanning her nose