Falling

Hermione's POV

I take the bouquet of lilies from Draco and follow my mum into the kitchen to look for a vase.

'Well he certainly seems like a nice boy,' Mum comments.  'It was very sweet of him to bring flowers.'

'I really care about Draco so it means a lot to me that you like him.  Do you know where the vases are?'

'I think they're in the glass cabinet in the dining room.'

I leave the flowers on the bench next to the sink and go into the dining room. 

Even though I lived here for 3 months after the war everything feels so unfamiliar.  Everything from before except the stuff that my parents took in their suitcases to Australia was either sold or destroyed.  Pictures of the family used to decorate the walls and shelves but now they have been replaced by various art pieces which, while beautiful, are meaningless to us. 

Before the war I had lived in one house for my entire life.  Throughout all the craziness of my life, my childhood home and always remained constant. Now everything from the dining table to the plates we eat off is different.  I suppose it is fitting in a way.  I am miles away from the small, shy girl for whom wizards and witches only existed in her imagination.  In the stories that little girl read, everything always went back to being perfect after they defeated the bad guys. 

I find a suitably sized vase and I fill it with water in the kitchen and arranged the flowers.  I take the vase with me back to the living room.  When I step through the door Draco and my dad both look up. 

'Hermione, you never told us that Draco was head boy!' Dad exclaims.

'Oh, I must've forgot to mention it?' I set the flowers down on the coffee table and take a seat on the sofa next to Draco.

'Is that how you two got to know each other better then?'

'Yes we've definitely spent a lot more time together this year,' Draco replies.

'I hope that's not what's been affecting Hermione's grades,' Dad says only half jokingly.  'What are your grades then like Draco?'

'His grades are great Dad,' I say quickly, really hoping to avoid an argument. 

'Not quite as good as Hermione's though,' Draco insists.  'She's always top of the class.'

'I'm glad to hear it.'  Dad smiles.

I find Draco's hand and squeeze in gratefully.

Just then Mum comes into the room to announce that dinner's ready. She and my dad leave the room but I keep Draco back.

'I just wondered if there was anything you wanted me to say to my parents,' I ask. 'I know you wanted to tell them some stuff that must be hard to talk about.'

'Thank you but I actually already told your dad,' he tells me. 'I figured I should just get it over with otherwise I wouldn't have been able to think about anything else all night. It was also less scary with just one of them.'

'I'm very proud of you.' I kiss him quickly before we follow my parents into the dining room.

***

After dinner my parents stay in the kitchen to clean up and I walk Draco to the door.

'Your parents are really nice,' he says.

'I think they really liked you.'

Draco smiles and looks down at the floor.

'Hermione, so I know it hasn't been that long but there's something I've been wanting to tell you.'

'What is it Draco?' I ask, my mind running through various possibilities for what he could be about to say.'

'I think, I'm falling in love with you. I know I don't really have much experience in this area or much of a reference to go off but I can't think of any other way to describe how I feel about you.'

I can't really say anything at first so I just reach up and kiss him. By the time we pull apart I've gotten over my initial shock.

'I think I'm falling in love with you too,' I say, grinning. I had thought about this before but now that I've said it out loud I know that it's true for so many reasons. I don't really know much more about falling in love than he does but I think this might be it.

'Hermione you don't have to say that just because I said it. I probably shouldn't have...'

I shut him up with another kiss.

'I'm not just saying it because you said it. I've been thinking about it for a while'

'Really?'

'Really.'

This time he kisses me and it is soft and tender and beautiful. After what is definitely way too little time he pulls back and I immediately miss his touch. He takes his coat from the hook behind me and pulls it over his shoulders. He kisses me one last time before opening the door.

'Goodnight Hermione.' He steps out into the dark.

'Goodnight, I'll see you for Christmas,' I call after him.

I hold the door open and stand in the freezing air to watch him until he disapparates. I don't think the pain in my chest is from the cold.

I close the door and turn back inside. I say goodnight to my parents and go upstairs to my room.

I go to my bag and take out my shopping from this morning. I set aside the presents including the piano I bought for Draco which has it's own little box that fits in the palm of my hand. Then I take out the book and the bag of potions ingredients. Today was so nice and I really don't want it to end.

I lock my door, take out my cauldron and brew the potion.

'Just for tonight' I promise myself. I just want to have tonight and then I'll let the nightmares return. I take the potion and sleep envelops me like a warm blanket.

The next night is Christmas Eve and I still can't bear it. After all, it's Christmas. I just need to get myself through this bit and then I'll go back to normal again. I take the potion and again my sleep is beautiful and nightmare free.

A/n - This chapter is brought to you by social isolation boredom.  I hope that you enjoyed this chapter and that you and your families are all safe and well.