Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24 // 𝑊𝑒 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒 𝑢𝑝

I only wanted you 'cause I couldn't have you,
Now that I know;
That wasn't love, that wasn't love, that was just hope.

Hope - The Chainsmokers

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Present

It's been two days since I haven't received any sleep. It's been two days since Lucas and I had broken up. It's been two days since we last saw each other. It's been two days since we last talked to each other, just two days and I miss him already.

I freshen up and come down to see Mom in the living room, "Good Morning, Mom." I say.

"Rach, you are up." She gives me a tired smile.

I slowly make my way towards her, "Mom, are you okay?"

"Lizi met with an accident Rach." She replies sadly and my heart stops beating for a second, "What? When?"

"Yesterday morning, she was crossing the road when a car hit her." Mom explains, making me hastily get up from my seat "Oh, my God. Is she fine?"

"She is better; she got discharged from the hospital last night. I was there with Anna." That explains the tired bags under her eyes.

"Why didn't you just call me?"

"Luke asked that not to disturb you," Mom says. How could he?

"I need to go. I need to go and see her." I rush towards Lucas's house, still in shock at how can Lucas do this to me. He told my Mom not to disturb me just because he didn't want to see me there? How could he? How could he when he knew I loved Liza dear to my life?

I walk into the living room of their house, using my keys to see the house empty. I assume them to be upstairs and without wasting a second, I run up the stairs. I pass through Lucas's room making my way towards Liza's bedroom as I see Lucas bending over Lisa, brushing her hair back. His eyes are bloodshot, and he has tired and dark circles underneath them, depressed lines cornering his mouth, his hair a thinned-out mess.

He looks like hell and I know I don't look good either.

"I'm not hungry," Liza whispers and Lucas shook his head, "You need to eat. Come on, Liz, time to get up."

I watch as Liza takes his large hand, and he pulls her gently up off the bed and onto her feet. She looks like someone whose life had just been upended. I hurt so badly for her and I couldn't even look at Lucas, because, the pain I feel for him is indescribable.

"Hey, Rach?" Liza calls for me as I blink back the tears forming in the back of my eyes.

"Hi, Liz," I say, trying my best to act normal around Lucas.

"I heard about your accident from Mom this morning. I'd have come last night if I'd known. Are you okay?" I take steady steps towards her and she replies with a smile, "No worries, you're here now. That's all that matters. And don't worry, I'm fine."

"Where's Anna?"

"Mom went out for some work," Liza replies. "Come join us for breakfast."

"No, actually, I already had my breakfast." I hesitate.