~CHAPTER 17: I LOVE YOU~

(edited: 23

(edited: 23.01.24)
THE SUN was high in the sky, when we finally stopped in Phoenix. While Emmett and I dealt with our bags, Alice and Bella went to check us into the hotel.

"You sure you're not gonna spontaneously combust, or something?" I asked quietly, glancing between the sun and Emmett who was wearing an oversized hoodie and sunglasses.

Emmett grinned and shook his head "Nah. We don't do that."

I raised my brow and shrugged, moving to take Bella's backpack "If you say so..."

"I could show you, buuuut I think that Jasper would like to do that instead." he explained, while lowering his glasses and winking.

I laughed at him and together we finally entered the hotel, where both Alice and Bella waited with the room keys.

After we went to our room, I dropped my bag, took some things and instantly went to take a shower.

In all honesty, I was completely drained and I think that I would be able to just crash on one of the beds and sleep. But I didn't want that.

Before I left for the bathroom, I could see that both Alice and Emmett were staring at me. Throughout the journey, I refused to sleep, even as Bella crashed against my shoulder, I stayed awake. I was too afraid to fall asleep, knowing that a new set of nightmares was awaiting me...

With a deep sigh, I shook my head and just started taking off my clothes. Instantly kicking them away, as they served as a reminder of the horrible day. Grabbing my shower gel, I caught a glance of myself in the mirror, stopping briefly. Nearly my whole body was covered in bruises. From the ones that I probably got at the sleepover, to the ones that came from the whole ordeal with James and Jasper constantly manhandling me as he tried to keep me away from danger.

It wasn't their fault... they didn't do any of it intentionally, I knew that. But the whole situation with James... it hit me in a way that it never has before.

My fingers softly traced the skin around my waist, where the worst bruise was. It was big and looked kind of like a purple handprint...

I hissed, jerking my hand away as the softest touch made me jump in pain.

"Thea?" Alice called out from outside, making me jump and cover myself although the door remained closed "Are you okay?"

Cursing the vampire hearing, I cleared my throat and said "Y-Yeah. I'm fine."

Yeah. Really convincing, Thea.

"Alright, call me if anything happens." Alice said, although much like I suspected, she didn't sound convinced.

Sighing, I just grabbed what I needed and entered the shower. As the hot water finally hit me, I relaxed and hummed happily. But still, my thoughts lingered on the bruises. They made me realize just how delicate my body really was. At least to Jasper and the others. If I was really serious about having a future with Jasper... then it was unavoidable. I would have to become like him and his family.