chapter seventeen

C A L E B

Only a couple of hours had passed after my unwelcoming interaction with Mateo, and I was currently seated on a bench in the park not too far away from my apartment complex after a tiring day at university and work. It was around half past eight and my phone wouldn't stop vibrating in my back pocket. 

I was delighted to know that I actually had friends, but it turned out to be a bunch of spam mails mixed with occasional texts from Matthew. I had responded to all his messages after my encounter with Mateo and had even apologized for ignoring him for so long. He, however, didn't seem to mind and completely understood my situation - even though I hadn't provided him with an explanation. 

And that only made me like him more, which I hated. So, I had decided to get some fresh air - because after the ordeal with Mateo, I was feeling even more on edge. 

I leaned back against the bench and let out a deep breath, shutting my eyes in the process. I instantly felt all my muscles relax and couldn't control the satisfied smile that made its way onto my face. That precious moment in paradise, however, didn't last very long. 

Only a few minutes after, I heard a disorganized pattern of footsteps making their way over to where I was seated - and right after, a person plopped down onto the bench with a loud groan. I didn't bother to open my eyes, which would've been a stupid move if I were a character in a horror movie. 

Thankfully, this wasn't a horror movie. This was reality. 

When the person next to me resumed their little groaning tantrum, I opened my eyes and looked over at them in annoyance for disturbing my peace - and when I saw the person I least wanted to see in that moment, I felt my stomach drop. 

I'd much rather be in a horror movie right now, now that I think about it. 

Mateo gave me a lopsided grin and leaned back against the bench, letting out a heavy sigh. I raised my eyebrows at him when I noticed his dishevelled appearance and disordered state, "What are you doing?"

Mateo placed his index finger against my lips and whispered, "Shh." 

What followed after that was an obnoxious and heavily slurred giggle, and even though I was seated a little further away from him, I could smell his God awful alcohol breath as clear as day. I clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth and pried his hand away from my mouth, "Are you drunk?"

He completely ignored me and leaned against my arm, humming, "You smell good."

"Oh my God, I can't believe this is happening right now. Out of all the people I could have met like this, it had to be the most skittish asshole ever," I complained. 

"Did you just say skittles?" he gasped, looking up at me with wide eyes before licking his lips. "Mmm, I love skittles. Speaking of skittles, do you wanna taste my rainbow?" he finished with a wink. 

I gagged and forced him away from me, giving him a look of annoyance before standing up and turning the other way so I could go back home. I had already begun to walk when I stopped in my tracks and turned back to take a look at Mateo. He was still in his messed up state, lying down on the bench while staring at his palm as if he had grown a toe on it. 

I clenched my jaw, annoyed. I knew I couldn't leave him there all by himself. 

Which was why I decided to do the most stupid thing ever.

I made my way back over to him and smacked him lightly on his face, which I earned a lot of satisfaction from doing, and said sternly, "Get up. I'll take you to your place."