CH. 38 Another Day

As I pulled away from Flynn, I looked between him and Kade.

"I know y'all want to fix this," I said slowly, sitting back to my knees.

Kade nodded with narrowed eyes.

"But, I just have one request. I just..." I paused, fighting back the embarrassment that slithered up my throat, "I don't want them to know yet."

Kade's eyes bored into me with uncertainty, "Violet-"

I waved my hands around, interrupting him, "Look, look," I sighed, "I know that we have to tell the others. But, it's been hard enough to tell y'all already," I held back the tears that wanted to fall, "I can't handle telling them right now. I can't handle everything all coming out so quickly."

I heard Flynn clear his throat, "Violet, I'm not so sure about that-"

"No," A rough voice interrupted him.

I glanced up to see Nathan turned to Flynn, his stubbled face stoic and commanding.

"She has every right to ask us to not say anything," Nathan shook his head at Flynn, now glancing over to Kade, "C'mon dude. You've got to understand."

Nathan pointed back to me, "She's not asking for you to never tell them. She's just asking for a little time," He said in a gentler tone.

The corners of my lips raised as I listened to Nathan's words.

His eyes connected with mine, his strong expression breaking into a softer one.

"She needs us right now," Nathan spoke with our eyes still interlocked, "Not all of them. Not yet, at least."

Nathan and I stared at each other, and my heart swelled from his caring words.

I'd never had Nathan say something like that to me before. He was actually being... nice?

"Okay," Kade's voice spoke loudly, making Nathan and I finally detach our eye-contact.

Kade looked at me, tucking his lips in, "Your secret is safe with us," he sighed.

Kade then scooted towards me on the bed, grabbing for my hands.

His deep blue eyes beckoned for mine, and we stared at each other in a trance.

"I love you Vi, and I understand your hesitance to tell the others," Kade said slowly, "But, we will have to tell them eventually, okay?" He squeezed my hands lightly.

I gripped his back, giving him a slight nod, "Yes, I get that. All I want is just a little more time," I sighed, rubbing my lips together anxiously, "I just, I can't have anyone else look at me this way today," I said shakily.

Kade tilted his head at me, rubbing his thumbs over the tops of my hands, "Like what?" He asked in a gentle voice.

My lower lip quivered and I felt the urge to cry, but I had no more tears left to give.

I looked down at the floor, avoiding everyone's wondering looks, "Like I'm broken," I forced the word out of my mouth, internally shuttering in shame.

I heard a heavy sigh escape Kade's lips, and he pulled away one of his hands to stroke my hair.

"You are not broken," Kade said in a deep voice.