» 3 «

| Inari |

When you open your eyes you are no longer in the small carriage, but rather in a large open room. Your body is covered by a heavy blanket and a fresh breeze of air made you remember the events of last night.

"How are you feeling?" A soft yet loud voice calls from the entrance of the room.

Your heart almost jumps out of your chest when you glance at the unfamiliar man. He is of average height and his hair is white with black tips at the end. He wears a dark kimono and a white band tides it together. While the unfamiliar man steps closer to you, you notice how his dark eyes study you carefully.

"W-Who are you?" You ask the man while his hand reaches towards you. Your brain needs a few seconds to realize what he wants, you pause for a second before placing your hand in his. With one mighty pull, he made you stand next to him.

"I'm Kita. You didn't answer my question." He speaks bluntly and starts to walk with you.

"I'm fine." You answer him quickly and glance around, taking in your surroundings. He leads you outside the room and into a wide garden area. A beautiful cherry tree stands in the middle of the garden. Its blossoms are about to bloom and it made you remember that it was spring already. Your glance back towards the house and your eyes become as wide as deers. The building is a massive but artistic shrine

"Amazing." You mutter to yourself but the man in your right hears it very cleary. His eyes follow yours and a small smirk is on his face when he realizes that you are talking about the shrine.

"It's one of the many shrines for the kami Inari. Do you know who the kami Inari is?" He asks you while his eyes glance at the side of your face. Your (e/c) gently leave the shrine and look back into his dark ones. Something about him made you fear but also admire him. It is as if something supernatural surrounds him.

"He is the god of fertility, rice and foxes." You answer him. A soft spring breeze made your hair fly into your eyes. Carefully you swipe it away and notice how Kita walks towards a wooden bench at the entrance to the shrine.

"Correct." Kita chuckles before sitting down on the bench. You follow him because you are too scared to try to run away.

When you sit down you notice how you are still in your nightgown. Embarrasses by the fact that you are exposing a large part of your bare skin, you quickly pull your legs underneath the bench. Kita notices your worries and takes off his wide white jacket before laying it on your shoulders. Surprised over his act of kindness, you hesitate a moment before using the warm clothing to shield yourself from the outside world.

"Where I am?" You ask him.

"You are on the island Dogo." Your eyes are wide in shock when his words echo through your head. Your heartbeat starts to rise when you realize that you are on the other side of the country and very far away from your home town. Your heart misses a beat when you think about your worried father.

"D-Dogo? No... this can't be right. Last night I was still in Tokyo. My father! He must be looking for me!" The sudden contact of his hand on yours made your babbling stop immediately. Tears start to take over your vision when he tried to comfort you.

"I'm sorry my dear but it is the truth. I am surprised that you did not know about this."

"What do you mean? How was I supposed to know that you were going to kidnap me on my eighteen birthday?" You angrily hiss at him.

"Because your mother prayed to me almost nineteen years ago." A wave of shock crashes over you when your ears hear his words. The tears in your eyes escape and rollover your dry cheeks.

"What do you- You are the god of this shrine?" You almost fall off the bench when you put the pieces together in your head.

"Yes. You are quicker than I thought." He speaks calmly.

"What do you mean my mother prayed to you? What did she pray for?" You ask quickly.

"She didn't want you to marry the cruel man's son. In exchange for this wish, I promise to take you away on your eighteen birthday."

"That's it? You didn't ask for anything in exchange?" You do not believe that he would act this selfless because of a simple prayer. The shady light in his eyes tells you that you are right.

"What do you know about the island Dogo?" He asks suddenly. You look at him perplex before answering him.

"Its the most dangerous place in Japan. Its called the demon island because of the myths. Demons and all other kinds of supernatural creatures are suppose to live here, making the life of the remains humans a misery."

"Do you believe in the tales?" He asks with a strange expression on his face. It made you fear the man sitting in front of you.

"I don't believe in myths." You speak with a strong, truthful voice. Kita's expression relaxes and a small smile forms on his pale lips.

"I will not bring you back to your family if you chose to live here."

"What are the downsides?" You don't like the thought of your father being trouble, but your mother prayed to Inari to make sure you do not have to marry a horrible man. If was her dying wish for you to follow her instruction.

"You will have to work for me until your debt is paid. As a god, I can grant wishes but your mothers include more than a normal wish. It includes your life which I can't touch unless you bind your soul to me. You will live in the village since I don't allow human living in my shine. You will work in the village and do as I say."

You swallow hard. You have never been given such a big decision. You take a deep breath and think about your family. If you accept your deal you would let them down. But something inside of you wants to stay here. You don't care about the stories about this demonic place, and something inside of you wants to stay here.

"Okay."