[5]

Bucky Barnes

"Thank you"

I smile at the woman before me, grabbing the fruits from her and placing them in a bag. When I walk away, I casually glance behind me to spot where my shadow is.

It was yesterday when I noticed that someone was following me.

The same blonde woman has been in the same area as me for days now, and I know when something is more than an occupancy. My eyes scan the area and I turn around when I don't find her. Immediately I realize that she might be at my apartment. I sigh, looking around once more before setting off towards my apartment.

I'm not entirely sure who this girl is, but the thought of Hydra has crossed my mind.

I stride faster, reaching up and pulling my hat further down on my head. After a few minutes of walking I finally reach my apartment building. I walk around to the front and my eyes swiftly search up to my window. Once I see that it's open, I break into a sprint. I burst through the doors and take the stairs two at a time until I reach my floor.

When I moved to Bucharest, I was hoping to escape the government and whoever else might come looking for me. I should've known that living a normal, secluded life was too good to be true. Then again, hiding is never something I've enjoyed doing but I have no other choice.

I finally reach my floor and pause, making sure to step lightly. I sneak up to my door and slowly open it. My eyes sweep the area and anger rises within me when I see the blonde woman standing at my window, ready to leave. I storm up and grab her, slamming her against my wall. She gasps but doesn't scream, signaling to me that she is used to high-pressure situations.

"Who are you?" I growl, glaring into her widened green eyes.

"Someone who's trying to help you" she responds, her voice unwavering.

Help?

No one ever really wants to help.

"You've been following me for days now, who are you?" I push, my voice strong. I can see the slight fear in her eyes as she opens her mouth.

"Dawn, I'm Dawn Beckett" she answers. I rack my brain for any recognition, but can't find any. I watch as the green in her eyes seems to brighten slightly, almost imperceptibly.

"Why have you been following me?" I ask, gripping her shoulders tighter. I watch her war with herself for a moment before she responds.

"I was sent to observe you, protect you if needed" she finally states. I furrow my brows, intrigue flooding my senses. I've been here for months now with no one on my trail and here Dawn comes out of nowhere.

"By who?" I grit out, watching as she squirms slightly. She must make the decision to tell me because she sighs, shaking her head slightly. I watch as her green eyes dull, returning to the normal color they were before. It's the smallest change, one any normal person wouldn't notice. I decide to push it to the back of my brain, classifying it as not important.

"Nick Fury" she responds, her eyes examining my response.

I blink a few times, my grip loosening on her. The name throws me back to when Secretary Alexander Pierce issued the Winter Soldier to kill Nick Fury.

Back to when Steve Rogers showed up, the man that every museum and something deep in my gut tells me I should know. For some reason, the full memories of my past remain shrouded in mystery.