Basalt

I don't own Avatar the Last Airbender or Naruto. I wish, though.

Sasuke snorted at her proposal.

Toph felt a budding dislike. "I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you could keep up with me."

His voice was full of scorn. "You, a blind civilian, thinks she can keep up with me?"

"Well," Toph cracked her knuckles. "I may not be a ninja, but that doesn't mean that I'm a civilian. Care to try and land a hit?"

"Why not, Sasuke?" Kakashi had been listening in. "Toph is not as helpless as you would think."

Toph felt slightly annoyed at that, despite the fact that he was coming to her aid.

Sighing, Sasuke moved into a defensive position.

She slid her foot across the ground as she moved into her own stance.

"Start!" Kakashi called.

Sasuke charged her, his feet light across the ground. His arms were swinging to his front as he prepared to attack her.

Toph felt a smile creep across her face.

Then she pounced.

▪▪▪

Kakashi watched as his student moved towards the older girl, preparing to finish their fight with one quick move-

Toph swung one of her feet back and slammed it into the ground.

As if made to by magic, the ground broke apart as it shot forwards. It arrowed toward where Sasukes' foot was coming down. The second his foot touched it, it changed direction and swung him to the left, pulling him down into a split.

Eyes wide, Sasuke slammed his hands onto the ground and propelled himself up and back to his feet.

He circled her more warily, now. Kakashi felt a thrill of excitement as Toph turned towards her opponent and sprang.

previously▪

Kakashi flipped through the thin file again, a slight perplexed feeling growing as he read further.

It had her name and guessed age, along with other basic facts like that.

Down the hall, he could hear Toph muttering in her sleep, nothing comprehensive, but words, nonetheless.

There were a few other things listed in the notes. Handsign-less jutsus, being able to tell when people were lying, seeing without sight. It just didn't seem possible.

And yet...

In the living room, she called for a sock. Socker? Why?

Kakashi looked at the back of the paper. Shikaku had been writing a few things on the back, his handwriting scrawled and messy.

Distrustful. Bei Fong is insecure and nervous about something. Earthbending requires further study.

Is Inoichi right???

Inoichi right? Right about what? Why was this so confusing?

Toph whimpered.

Kakashi was about to go and wake her, but something stopped him.

Who was she?

present time▪

Toph moved, and the earth moved with her, a huge disk of rock rising into the air. She almost pushed it forwards, sending a huge projectile straight at Sasuke.