Chapter Ten : The Bright Light

Two light taps on the front door turn my head as I shift my trance from the bowl of food over to the doorknob. It must be Trenton. Staring at the door, I will myself to move, to stand, but I can't. I hear some shuffling and the doorknob jiggling before it is unlocked.

As the door slowly opens, Trenton whispers, "Alex."

I try to respond, but nothing comes out.

The moment Trenton locks eyes with me, he shuts the door and kneels by my side.

With deep concern swirling in his eyes, he caresses the air with his breath, "Alex." He raises his right hand to push my long locks over my shoulder. His large hand lightly trails down my arm and stops at my hand. He interlocks our fingers for a moment before taking a seat at the table.

"Whenever you're ready, I'm here." Trenton leans towards me, crossing his dark muscular arms and resting them on the table.

Trenton has a way of knowing me. A way of seeing me. In a way that most people don't. That's why he's one of my closest friends and almost boyfriend. He appears at all the right times and says all the right things. In this moment, that is exactly what I need.

He searches my eyes as I try to find the words. I blink back a wave of tears and try to inhale in my snot. Internally screaming at my arm, I'm able to grab the glass of water. The cold liquid eases the dryness and pushes down the clump of snot in the back of my throat. I down the whole glass and return it to the table.

"Hi." I softly murmur. For a brief moment, I consider trying to play it off. Act like nothing is wrong.

"Alex. What is going on?" Trenton cuts straight to the chase, letting me know that I can't play it off.

"Uhm. Well.." I trail off, trying to find the words to explain.

Trenton reaches out and places his palm, face up, on the table. As if he could give me the strength to speak, I place my hand in his and continue. "I asked Garvey about my parents."

Trenton waits for me to say more.

I inhale deeply and struggle to spit the words out, "He didn't know about my dad. And, uhm. Well. Uh. My mother is dead."

The words said out loud from my own mouth slice through my core, releasing another wave of tears.

Without speaking, Trenton scoops me up from the chair, carries me to the couch in the living room, and cradles me in his arms.

I bury my face in his neck and wrap my arms around my stomach. An endless wave of sobs erupt as I draw near hyperventilation.

"Hey, A. I'm here. Listen to me breathing and breathe with me." Trenton coaches.

Slowly, my breathing is stabilized by following Trenton's rhythm. Trenton gently rubs my back as I succumb to physical and mental exhaustion. I close my eyes and allow myself to drift asleep.

~ ~ ~

My heavy breathing wakes me. I open my eyes. My pulse quickens as I stand in total darkness. I've been here before.

"Hello, is anyone there?" My question echoes around me.

I reach towards the darkness, searching for anything around me.

Swoosh.

The fast-moving mass startles me as I jump back.

Swoosh.

Another speedy mass on my left grazes my hand lightly and sends chills all over my body.

What is happening? Where am I?

Sweat trickles down my face as my fear continues to build. The hair on my arms stand at attention as my chest tightens. Adrenaline kicks in.

"Who are you?!" I demand.

Immediately, a man I recognize is merely inches from my face, practically nose to nose. I scramble back to see, it's Steve Ackers.

"I know you," The claim comes out as a whisper.

"Alex, help me." His rich voice rolls thought my ears.

Within seconds I am surrounded by a plethora of shadows, people, all speaking. Pleading, demanding, crying, laughing, their voices are too much to take.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I shout as I dip down to the floor.

The voices are like blows to the skin, swirling around me, striking one at a time. Protectively, I curl into a ball and sob under the pressure. The voices grow louder despite my screams. I cover my ears and rock in place.

Time stands still, rocking in place, trying to protect myself, I remain on the floor shoving my palms over my ears. Just as my sanity begins to slip, a light appears.

The blinding light hovers over me, as I watch an arm poke out towards me.

Desperately, I grab the arm and stand. As I lock on to crystal clear blue orbs, the voices begin to fade.

One voice remains clear, "Alex! Hey, Alex! Wake up!"

As if falling from a twenty-story building, I snap into consciousness.

Shit. It was that dream again.

Trenton's voice grounds me in reality, "You were having a bad dream."

I question while blinking rapidly, "Huh?"

"You were screaming." Trenton hugs me tightly as I realize I must have drifted off in his arms.

Sleepily, I rub my eyes. "Oh. What time is it?"

"Uh, I don't know. I feel asleep too, but I woke up when you started screaming."

"Sorry." I mumble as I fish my phone out of my pocket.

5:20 AM

"Ugh. I'm sorry. You have to leave. Garvey will be home soon."

"Shit. My parents are going to be pissed that I didn't come home." Trenton shifts me over to his side and stands.

I walk him to the door. "Thanks for last night. I didn't want to be alone."

Trenton turns, lightly pinches my chin in between his fingers and plants a sweet peck on my forehead. "You're never alone. I'll lock the door and put the spare back under the mat."

I softly smile. "See ya at school." I stare as he shuts the door, remembering why he had to use the spare to get in.

Looking around the kitchen, I realize the place is a mess. I can't go back to sleep now, so I might as well clean up.

I try my best to focus on every task that I am doing, but I can't stop my brain vomiting thoughts at me. My heart aches at the sound of Garvey saying my mother is dead. My knees feel weak from the shear panic I endure in my dream. My stomach churns as I reflect on a new element that has never been in my reoccurring dream before, the bright light. The person who carries me out of the pit I sink into. My trance locked into the piercing blue eyes. Ah, hell. It was Alister.