𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 02.

━ 𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗿𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗹𝗮

𝐌𝐘 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀 rollercoaster. First, I'd dreamed of a beautiful island on the boat ride there. Then, I hopped off the Ferry at the smelly port, got yelled at, and faced far too many angry people who gave me nothing but weird looks. After that, I met Caroline— her pickup truck was loud and old, and smelled of old books, but it got the job done, driving us through those rich streets. Finally, we kept following that dirty brown van full of teenagers across a bridge until the beach houses were no where to be seen.

Eventually the brown van had split from us and drove down a different street. Most of the ride we were driving on a dirt-road, big trees on either side. We passed a few signs, but Caroline started driving so fast that I couldn't read them. The window stayed open, because I loved the feeling of the wind blowing through my hair, and the fresh scent of nature that I'd never smelled before.

We passed a few houses as well. I knew it was rude to judge the area so quickly, so I kept my lips tucked the whole ride until the rusty Toyota pickup pulled into the driveway of a small home. I didn't know if I could even call it a driveway— it was simly a makeshift parking spot on the lawn, the green grass engraved with dark brown marks from the truck tires. The house was white and seemed to only have one floor, the creamy-coloured paint chipping around the windows.

But, when I finally looked to my left side, away from Caroline's home, I saw the water. Then everything else didn't matter.

Behind the house that I'd be staying in for the next year, was a wide space of the sea. There was a long walkway, made up from wood planks and pieces, going all the way out to reach a small boat— the boat was white and seemed well-kept from where Id been standing, and I secretly hoped that I would learn how to drive it one day.

It felt as though my lips wouldn't move to speak as I stared out at the water glimmering beneath the sunlight, which had finally broke through the clouds.

"You like the water?" Caroline's voice spoke out. She hopped out of the driver's side and walked to the back of the truck. She had noticed my interest as I kept staring, unresponsive for a moment.

"Yeah," I replied, smiling to myself. I swallowed, "I've just never seen anything like it in person," I aimed to speak causally.

"What you mean you've never seen anything like it," Caroline asked, more as a statement. She began to unload my suitcases and bags from the cargo bed, placing them one of top of the others on the grass.

"Would you like any help, Caroline?" I asked her kindly, as I pushed open the truck door and slid off the seat. I stepped around the car to see that she was already closing the back of the truck, my stuff piled beside her.

"No, no," she wave her hand in the air as if swatting away a fly. A soft smile lay over her lips. "I'll get Daryl to do it, he'll be home in a minute. How about you go check out the house, huh," she stepped closer to me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder, casually guiding me towards the front door of her small home.

I had never known my grandma, or simply how to act around one in general, but I was guessing that it was normal for them to make you feel warm inside. I couldn't help but smile, as she let go of me and gently pushed me forwards. I looked back at her as she was turned away, newly doing something in the car. Letting out a quiet huff of air, I climbed up the brown front steps to the porch, the paint slighly chipped.

From behind the barely ripped grey screen door, I could see the inside of the house and some of it's furniture. The old-wooden floorboards creaked when my shoes landed on them with each step, and a cozy scent of fresh flowers filled my nose, a few vases placed along the window sills. It was much smaller than what I had been used to in the apartment in New York, or course, but I found myself enjoying the way it made me feel comfortable and secure.