Love

''Alec?'' 

Katherine entered his room after she had changed into a white dress, she hated the color, she hated what it represented, but she accepted it.After all, Katherine was a shadowhunter , had been one all her life and she knew that Shadowhunters weren't always supposed to live long lives.

''I-I can't.'' his hands shook as he tried to wear his white jacket.

 ''Here, let me help.'' she walked further in the room and helped him wear the jacket.Smoothing it down with her hands as Alec looked at her, his eyes suddenly wet with tears that would have fallen had Katherine not wiped them away ''I-I can't do this.''

Katherine sighed and pulled his chin up till his eyes met her's ''Alec, you really need to stop blaming yourself for what happened. You didn't kill mom and you sure as hell couldn't have saved me from being stabbed by the demon.'' her voice was soft and comforting.

Alec sniffed and pressed his forehead to her's and they both sighed in the moment  ''Come on, we have to go.'' Katherine gently grabbed his hand and he tightened his hold on her's as they moved out of his room and towards where the rite was happening.

~*~*~*~*~*

''You alright?'' Jace asked Katherine and Alec as the three together entered the place were the funereal was about to be held. Alec nodded his head while Katherine simply looked at the people in the room, all were wearing white and the room all of a sudden had an aura of death to it.

Alec squeezed Katherine's one hand while Izzy stood on her other side as Clary entered the room and Jace walked towards the Fairchild , her expression of lostness and brokenness started another round of agony in  Katherine's chest.

''Those remaining will take their place with fallen.'' Aldertree's voice was filled with gloom

Jace and Clary made their way to Jocelyn's body but Katherine stayed by Izzy and Alec's side, her hand never left his and neither did his left her's .

''Those remaining will say the names of the fallen.''

''Brother Micah.''

Katherine's lips moved along with everyone else's ''Pulvis et umbra sumus.''

''Brother Jeremiah.''

''For we are dust and shadows.''

Katherine's hand tightened around Alec's and so did his  ''Jocelyn-'' Clary's voice broke and the tears fell down Katherine's cheek as the pain finally hit her. Be the person you were always meant to be.

Alec tightened his hold on her hand as his own tears fell down his cheek. Izzy looked at the two and her heart broke for them as Jace took a sobbing Clary into his own arms. ''Jocelyn Fairchild.'' he was looking directly in the front.

Katherine squeezed back Alec's hand as she tasted her tears on her lips ''Ave atque vale.''

''Hail and farewell.''

Jace and Clary walked back to stand besides Alec's side as the Silent brother's touched their steles to the covered bodies of the dead. Katherine saw Alec wipe away his tears and rubbed her thumb on his knuckles as she watched the souls of the dead rise and leave the Institute, her tears never ending.

Be the person you were always meant to be.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alec had left the room after the funereal had finished. He couldn't look at Clary or Jace, not when the reason their mother was dead was he himself, and that's why he was currently punching the life out of a wall in his room, not really caring about the blood.