Chapter 5

Today was like a hurricane in my head. Mr. Davis made me clean the hallway and the steps with a small scrub brush since I haven't been very 'attentive' with my chores. He was always such a stubborn bull when it comes to chores. After that I had to do all my laundry, clean my room, and then go downstairs and help the kitchen staff with dinner. We had lasagna which was good except for rolling bread for about two hours. Dinner was mostly quiet because it's close to the end of the week, no one wanted to get into trouble and have a punishment interfere with their weekend plans.

Nevertheless, I was definitely excited after we were dismissed from dinner so I could hide away back to my room and finish chapter one. Mr. Davis and I would be meeting after tomorrow and I have to make sure I'm prepared for whatever he may throw at me. I had reread the beginning of the first chapter at least twice because half of it was in Spanish with very little context clues and Yo hablo español no muy bien. It also bothered me that I didn't have my cell phone to google things. But Mr. Davis definitely speaks it well, so I made sure to highlight some of the quotes that I couldn't make out.

Sprinting up the stairs and closing my bedroom door, sending a clear message to everyone that I was not to be disturbed, I grabbed a pen and the novel and tossed it on my bed. I slipped into my silky nightgown and turned off the light while turning on my lamp for an intense night of reading. I will no doubt be scolded by Mr. Davis for scribbling so much in my book but it relaxed me. I would often write quotes or my own thoughts with the page numbers on the front and back cover of whatever book I was reading. My teachers in school would holler at me and at times my parents did as well but it was a habit that I never could break.

____________________________________________________________

JASPER'S POV:

I threw my shirt and jeans into the top of my laundry bin, hoping that the Administrators would turn their heads at how much was there at least for another day. I wasn't in the best of moods to do laundry with everyone today. To be honest, I think I didn't do it today because I don't trust myself. I have no idea what would have happened if I was forced to run into Ryan during the two-hours that it would take my laundry to be finished.

Looking down at the picture of my parents and I at our beach trip last year made my entire being clench in anger. I just got off the phone with my dad who, not surprisingly, was discouraged to hear that I committed an offense great enough to land me an extra month here. It was hard enough hearing that from Mr. Patry after he painted my backside red but hearing my father tell me that I deserved it was like pouring salt on my wounds. Ironically, my short-temper definitely stems from my father but he feels the need to point out every little infraction of mine when it comes out.

"Jasper," Mr. Davis stood in my doorway, glancing around the room as if he were avoiding eye-contact. "you're to go to the kitchen after breakfast tomorrow morning to wash dishes and then you will mow the font lawn."

I nodded my head and looked down at the ground.

"I heard Mr. Patry recommended that you remain at the Academy for another month." He came inside now and closed my door.

Wow, that was very sympathetic of you sir. Thank you. I took a deep breath to prevent me from saying something I'll regret or from rolling my eyes.

"Yes sir, I just got off the phone with my dad and he reassured me that I deserve to stay." I unraveled my bed sheets, trying to show that I was tired.

"Do you feel like you do?" He leaned against the wall near the light switch and folded his arms.

I sighed, quickly becoming annoyed at his attempt to make small talk. "No sir, not at all." I took a stance; I'll probably regret it but it's necessary.