twenty-six

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗦𝗜𝗫
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘗𝘈𝘙𝘛𝘠. )

BY THE TIME MURPHY HAD WOKEN THE NEXT MORNING, Rick, Carol, and Daryl had already left the walls

BY THE TIME MURPHY HAD WOKEN THE NEXT MORNING, Rick, Carol, and Daryl had already left the walls. She assumed it was for another of their secret meetings, but she couldn't be sure. She could only wait and see what happened... when it happened. For now, Murphy decided to make herself a cup of coffee. As she walked to the kitchen, she spotted Michonne standing before a mirror of the guest bedroom on the way to the kitchen. Murphy stopped in her tracks and took a step into the doorway, lightly knocking on the open door to catch Michonne's attention. She turned and gave Murphy a view of her new uniform.

"What do you think?" Michonne asked, stepping around in a circle, letting Murphy catch a glimpse of every side.

"You look amazing," Murphy smiled, stepping closer. "But, I don't know what the hell these strings are here for."

Michonne turned so that her back faced the mirror, looking over her shoulder to get a better view at the dangling strings, "I don't know either. It's a pain in the ass though."

"Yeah..." Murphy trailed, crossing her arms.

"I know," Michonne realized, reaching for her sheathed katana that leaned against the nearby table. She slid it out of its case, pulling the strings down and slicing them short. They cut cleanly. Once it was done, she smiled at Murphy with the cut remains in one hand and the sword in the other. "How was that?"

Murphy chuckled while playfully shrugging, "It works."

Before either of them could continue, Rick appeared from the hall. He had returned from his journey to the outside and leaned against the door frame. His eyes traced Michonne's outfit, but they traveled between her and Murphy as he spoke, "I don't know if this is some kind of play, handing authority to strangers."

"The authority to break up fistfights," Michonne responded monotonously while setting her hands on her hips.

Rick shrugged, "If it was just that, she should have given one of these to Daryl."

Murphy studied him, still unsure of his thoughts on the community. But as he mentioned Daryl's name, she shifted in her spot, "Where is he?"

"He went out. Should be back by tonight," Rick replied, sending her a comforting look.

Murphy nodded, but deep down, she was nervous. She knew that Daryl didn't feel comfortable there in the community... with the place and with the people. Because of that, she didn't know what he would do out there. She wished she could've gone with him.

Michonne continued the previous conversation, "I don't know if it's for us or for them. Or maybe Deanna's trying to get rid of 'us' and 'them'. You put these jackets on me and you, have the people see it. If that's the play, that'd be smart. And she seems smart."