Rei's Ending: Solitude Doesn't Suit A King

As Akari and (Y/n) waded through the forest, the girl began to skip, excited to see her family and friends once more instead of being forced to mingle with monsters. She began to hum happily, drawing the attention of the curious blonde. The boy began to hum along with her random tune, but he wasn't able to follow her newly composed notes, and stopped quickly, blushing out of embarrassment. The blonde then put his hand on the back of his neck and chuckled nervously, his cheeks tinted pink.

"Aw, and you were doing so well, too," the girl pouted playfully, making the blonde blush harder and look away.

"Forgive me," he said quietly, "Even I can't read your mind all the time. Still, it's nice to be with you at times like these when you're all full of hope. It's astonishing, really."

"Is it?" the girl asked, tilting her head as she held her hands behind her back leaning to one side then to the other, "Well, you're the one sneaking me out of here so you're pretty astonishing yourself. Have I thanked you for that yet? Because I'm really thankful!"

"Multiple times," the boy blushed, "You really shouldn't do that to a monster like me. I could never compare to you."

The girl gave a small frown at the boy's way of putting her on a higher pedestal than he had for himself. It seemed he was relying on her to get through his low self-esteem and the thought was less than pretty. After all, he was entirely too helpful to her when he didn't have to be and put himself in danger for her. She gave a small grin and punched the boy playfully in the arm. He gave a strange look and then held onto where she touched him.

"I think you're pretty great," (Y/n) smiled brightly, "You're really talented at stuff like this and you're super loyal."

The boy's expression dropped at her seemingly cheerful words. He then slowed his pace, stopping in his tracks before his mind surged through all of the terrible things he had done. Memories of his first kill, of his victims pleading with him to spare them, the blood that had been spilled. They all looked at him as if he was a monster, stained with the gleaming scarlet liquid that came from their dying bodies.

Even when (Y/n) had proclaimed him loyal was yet another half-truth. Perhaps he had never once had thoughts of betraying his goddess, but Rei was another story entirely. Whether or not it was actually a betrayal flew past him. All he could see was that after years of being attached to him and him alone, he suddenly overlooked him as if he was just a bug. It wasn't fair, it wasn't right, he knew it to be true. And yet compared to (Y/n), he didn't hold a candle to her. Something about it left a bad taste in the blonde's mouth.

"Akari?" the girl said quietly, seeing his despairing expression, "When you leave the house, will you come and have some ice cream with me?"

"I-Ice cream?" the boy trembled, "I-I couldn't dare to - "

"Even if I begged you?" the girl said, getting on her knees and pleading with the blonde, "Pretty please?"

"(Y/n), stop, stop! Goddess please," the boy said, bursting out in tears as he fell to his knees and hugged her tightly, "Don't ever do that again. I-I'm not good enough for you. The most I can do is watch out for you as you live your life. I shouldn't be in it at all. I'll only corrupt you and poison your pure mind."

"That's not true at all," the girl said, giving the boy a small kiss on the cheek, "You helped me stay sane, don't you remember? Without you, I would have been an emotionless doll. So please give yourself more credit."

The boy paused, seeing the sincerity in the girl's eyes. She seemed entirely truthful, not a trace of a lie on her lips. His body was overcome with a sense of great sadness, but also a great relief and he was able to fall into her arms and allow her to pet his hair softly as he wept into her. The feeling alone was enough to make him cry for eternity just to have her embrace him like that, but he wanted her safe. That was the top priority.