forty three.

CHAPTER FORTY THREE,
become the result

   THE FEELING OF the cold floor against her bare body was the only thing that reminded her she could still feel, that she was even still alive

THE FEELING OF the cold floor against her bare body was the only thing that reminded her she could still feel, that she was even still alive. She felt like she was a hollow being, a pile of flesh and bones that wouldn't simply just rot away.

Samantha still had a beating heart, but she felt like a ghost in an unmarked grave.

Her breathing seemed difficult now, and each breath she swallowed she felt like she was drowning. Her lungs were burning from all the cries, all the screaming that were left unheard.

Samantha always wondered how Daryl Dixon kept it all inside, she wondered how such deep etched trauma was easily locked up.

Maybe this was how.

She could still taste saltiness of her tears that had fallen and feel the blood under her broken nails whenever they had clawed at the ground. But most of all, she could still smell his sweat, a scent that would surely haunt her for a long time.

"It's okay to cry," He said to her, kneeling down and peering at her. Her curled up body was shaking and contorting, restraining the emotions that wanted to rip through her just like the Governor had moments before. "Just let it all out, honey."

She turned her face on the concrete ground to look at him. Her teeth were grinding together, her face layered with sweat and with bruises that he had embedded onto her when she tried to fight back.

He had marked his territory everywhere on her.

"I'm...I'm not crying for me," She breathed, every word feeling thick and hoarse in her throat as it travelled out. "I'm crying for you,"

The Governor tilted his head curiously.

"I'm thinking about all the things I'm going to do to you and it makes me cry. It scares me."

From her dangerous voice he saw it. It was a fire that was alive, seething and blooming. It was as if she had sucked up all the flames from hell itself and let them burn from within.

Then as if someone had flipped a switch, the look on her face became empty and her eyes were like stone, but he could still see her promise swirling within her bloodshot greens - and even for a second, it made the Governor falter.

"Well, are you going to keep that?"

The familiarity of the voice brought her head up from the ground, peering into the empty room around her. Was she finally going insane? Had she finally been pushed off the edge?