Chapter 13

Zia had mixed feelings when Nico reappeared on the roof. She was relieved to see him awake and alert, but apprehensive about his state of health. He looked much better, yes, but considering how bad he'd looked a few minutes ago, she didn't think he had any business returning to battle.

"Alright, Nico's back," said Percy to the rest of them. "But he's nowhere near full strength, so watch his back."

Nico looked embarrassed when Percy put a protective hand on his shoulder. "I'm not that bad off –"

"Yes you are.

"Am not."

"Get your hands off him," growled Zia.

Percy and Nico both looked at her incredulously. Zia nearly covered her mouth in shock at her words.

"Zia, I'm sorry, but that's enough," said Walt.

"Seriously," agreed Julian.

"Sorry," muttered Zia. "I don't know what came over me."

"Why does everyone feel the need to be so overprotective of me?" Nico wondered out loud. "Is it because you think I'm young and helpless? Well I've got news for all of you! I was born in the 1930's! That makes me older than all of you combined!"

"Don't waste your energy shouting," Percy told him. "You're going to need it in battle. But for the record, Lotus Hotel time doesn't count and you know it."

"I say it does count. You should respect your elders and acknowledge that I'm always right."

Zia couldn't completely follow their exchange, and wasn't sure if Nico was being serious about having been born in the 1930's. She did, however, notice that Percy had not released Nico's shoulder when she'd ordered him to. He'd kept hold of it, probably to spite her, or at least show her that he didn't have to listen to her. Now he squeezed Nico's shoulder, then ruffled his hair like Nico was his little brother.

"Stay safe," he told Nico before turning to leave.

Zia also noticed that Nico seemed completely at ease with Percy. It almost looked like he tilted his head toward the older boy when he ruffled his hair, and his expression was genuinely affectionate when he bade him goodbye.

"You too, Percy."

Zia turned away, fighting the urge to throw something at Percy. Even knowing that her instincts were being influenced by Nephthys's instincts, she couldn't get past her dislike for the demigod. He made her skin crawl, and she couldn't help it, she wanted him away from Nico even though she knew that was wrong. They were cousins, after all. But . . . from what she remembered from her lessons, the children of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades weren't supposed to get along any better than their fathers could.

But then, it wasn't like demigods were supposed to get along with Egyptian magicians either, but it seemed like Nico and Percy were doing fine at that too.

It was then that Zia realized that something was wrong with her own way of thinking. She hadn't thought about it too much earlier because there hadn't been time, or because she'd been distracted, but . . . why did she feel so protective of Nico?

There was absolutely no reason for it. She didn't know him. He was supposed to be an enemy, or at least someone she wasn't supposed to associate with. He was a cute kid, yes, but that didn't explain why Zia felt such a strong urge to protect him with everything she had. She almost felt like they had some kind of connection, like they were family. Could he be a relative of hers? She wondered, but didn't think it was likely. Well, it wasn't impossible. Maybe on his mortal side . . . but that was a really long shot, and even if it was true, they couldn't possibly be closer than second or third cousins. She felt like she saw Nico as more of a little brother . . . or more like a son.