30.

Amara received a big and long hug from the twins. A swell of joy filled her, so much that she thought her heart would explode. Apart from that, she was really excited. For the first time, she was going to control her newfound powers. By the end of their study, her heart thumped wildly against her chest as the Supreme Sorceress appeared near the doorway. 

She dismissed the children and approached Phoebe, who smiled slightly as she said, 'Come with me.' 

They walked to the western wing, wordlessly.  Amara's nerves were in a bundle as she struggled to keep up with the tall woman's pace. Phoebe stopped next to a thick and plain, knobless wooden door. It only piqued Amara's curiosity. 

When Phoebe waved her hand gently, red mist swirled around her fingers and reached out for the door, pushing it open. 

It seemed to lead them to nothingness. All Amara saw on the other side was darkness. 

'Follow me,' the woman disappeared in the darkness. 

Amara wanted to point out that she wasn't in a prime condition to walk even with her walking stick. 'Should I expect a staircase?'

'Expect whatever you think of,' Phoebe's voice seemed to come from a distance with a distinct echo that Amara couldn't put a finger on. 

The cryptic answer wasn't appreciated. Suddenly, her excitement transformed into gnawing fear which chewed on her nerves, bit by bit. 

A blazing inferno flashed in her mind. 

'I'm waiting, Amara.'

She shook her head in an attempt to clear it. With a deep breath, she stepped into the darkness. 

Much to her shock, she was greeted by a raging fire. The heart nipped her skin, burning her. It dragged her back to a memory that was buried deep inside her mind. Screaming, she let go of the walking stick that immediately caught fire. 

She felt pure, scorching and unrelenting fear. 

With the thunderous flames, came screams of the people who burned. 

The wrath of the naked flames could not be quelled. 

'Amara!' 

In a moment, the temperature around her dropped as the flames vanished. Her head spun like a top but she could see clearly enough to know that she was no longer in a burning abyss. 

'Amara, follow my voice!' Phoebe was in front of her clutching her head. 

Amara blinked. It was funny to see Phoebe clothed in thick jackets because to Amara, it was too hot to even wear anything but, of course, etiquette did not allow her to do so. She removed her jacket, her chest heaving. 'What was that?' She asked breathlessly. 

'It's a spell to keep away unwanted visitors,' Phoebe explained as she handed her a glass of water. Amara was sure she had conjured it up because she hadn't seen her move from her place at all. She found it weird but it didn't matter - she was parched and she felt like she could down a lake. 

'You could've warned me,' she felt the cool liquid trickle down her throat, soothing her. She exhaled in satisfaction. Her hazy mind began to settle- like ripples in the water dissipating. 

'I did warn you, Amara. I told you to expect what you think of.' 

The answer no longer seemed cryptic to Amara. She gave Phoebe a deadpanned look, 'I was burning.' 

'Then that's your first lesson,' Phoebe helped her get to her feet, 'Control your mind.' 

Amara wanted to say something rude but she clamped her mouth shut. Irritation simmered but she did her best to rise above it. It was true that the sorceress hadn't been gracious with her warning but she had warned her, nevertheless. 

'You will be acquainted with true power only if you control your mind.' 

She wasn't listening. Her mind was awed by the colourful vials, decanters and worn out leather-bound books placed on wooden shelves. A black cauldron sat in the centre with a pile of unburnt logs underneath it. She peered inside it, expecting a vicious neon green portion that turned people into frogs but to her disappointment it was empty. 

The room was a little dark. It was understandable since it had only one small window and during that time of the year, half of it was buried in snow. 

Behind the cauldron was a heavy table carved with curves that seemed to be a different language. 

'You aren't paying attention to me, are you?' 

Amara's attention snapped toward her, sheepishly, 'I'm sorry.'

Phoebe waved her hand in dismissal and tucked her hands behind her back. She marched past Amara, toward the table. She went to the other side and opened a drawer and reached for something in it. 

Amara stepped closer out f curiosity and saw that the sorceress had kept a rock on the table. 

'You almost destroyed the castle,' Phoebe spoke as she stood by her side, 'Now, destroy that rock.' 

Amara eyed the sorceress nervously, 'What if I really destroy that castle instead of the rock?' 

'Don't flatter yourself, Amara. You can barely conjure anything consciously. Your magic only comes out when you're near death.'

Irritation rose again. 'But isn't that the point of magic? Is it not for self-defence?' 

The Supreme Sorceress shook her head, a small grin on her face. For a moment, Amara thought that she was going to present an argument but she didn't. Instead, she moved toward a shelf and picked a book. She leafed through the pages as if she had no care in the world. Amara looked at her quizzically. 

Phoebe seemed to have sensed her gaze. She smiled at her, looking away from the book, 'Go on. Destroy the rock.'

Amara huffed, 'How do I do it?'

This time the sorceress didn't even grace her with a glance, 'The same way you almost destroyed the castle.'