Chapter Thirty-Six: Boyfriend from Hell

Boyfriend from Hell

Chase dragged me bodily to the floor, rolling on top of me and pinning my arms down like I was nothing more than a child.

"Stop it, Chase!  Don’t do this,” I pleaded. Struggling against him I realized just how strong he really was. I wasn’t sure if the sin was making him stronger or not, but it was like trying to fight a brick wall that had decided to plant itself on my chest. It was absolutely terrifying. I'd never been so incapable of movement in my life.  

His face didn’t even look human as he snarled at me. He was savage and wild, like some kind of rabid dog. There was nothing of the boy I'd met in those eyes. How could something so evil take over a person so completely in no time at all? I would have to ponder that question later – at a time when I wasn’t scared out of my stupid mind.

“Chase stop!” I tried to bite the hand holding me down. It was the only thing I could think of to do.

He snarled again before he slapped me hard across the face. The coppery taste of blood filled my mouth as I reeled from the blow.

“I told you I’d kill you if I ever saw you with him again! I told you!” he yelled down at me as he slapped me again.

It was nothing like how people described it in books. I didn’t see stars as much as felt my whole vision blink off and come back on again, like a dropped satellite signal. There was an intense ringing in my ears and my face felt like it’d been stung by hundreds of hornets.

I fought back, realizing that I was in just as much danger now as I had been when Aunt Celeste was trying to fry me to a crisp. He was so strong, no matter how much I bucked and tried to move under him, it was getting me nowhere. I raised my knee up and caught him hard in the groin, one of his hands let go of my arm and I was able to bring it up and chop him awkwardly in the neck like I’d seen Dante do. It wasn't smooth, but it was effective.

Chase rolled off me, grabbing his already bruised throat. Thank God Dante had struck it first.Taking my chance, I scrambled out from under him and got back on my feet to make a run for it. Chase took me down before I had taken more than two steps. This time when I fell, my hands landed on some broken glass, making me cry out from the pain.

He pulled me underneath him, my hands dragging along the broken glass as my back came to rest pressed against his chest. His mouth was hot against my ear, “You can’t run from me, Eliza. You’re mine. I told you that already.”

Even through the haze of the pain in my hands, I distinctly felt the rough pull of his hands on my clothes. My heart leaped into my throat as a fear unlike any I’d ever known screamed through me.

“Chase, no! Please!” I sobbed, swallowing back the terror that was threatening to choke me. "Don't do this...please don't!"

“You’re mine, Eliza. I won’t share you with that monster. Not ever!” he hissed into my ear, tugging harder.

I trembled as I heard the seams of my shirt ripping from behind. A new wave of panic siezed me. I tried to roll onto my side and buck him off me again, but he pressed down so hard I could barely breathe.

“You belong to me, Eliza,” he whispered just before an inhuman sound rent through the air.

Chase’s body was pulled off me in a violent jerk, and as I watched his body went hurtling through the air, clear across the room until it slammed against the far wall with a bone-crushing thud. I looked up and saw Dante in the doorway of the store. He was big and scary, his eyes completely black, without so much as a hint of white anywhere. I would have been terrified at the sight of him if I wasn't already well on my way.

Dante covered the length of the room in one leap until he was right on top of Chase. He reared back and punched Chase so hard I was sure I’d heard something crack. Satisfied he was knocked out again, Dante turned and looked back at me. When he spoke to me, his mouth didn’t even move. I heard him echo inside my skull like he was speaking inside my own head.

Did he hurt you?

I could only shake my head. I was ok. I was scared out of my mind, my face and hands were killing me, but otherwise I was fine. Well, as fine as I could be considering my boyfriend had attacked me and would have probably killed me after satisfying his uncontrollable, evil lust. 

Dante closed his eyes and seemed to take a few calming breaths. When he opened his eyes again, they were back to their normal blue hue, with regular sized pupils. 

“I told you not to do anything stupid,” he said, speaking out loud this time.

I laughed a little even as I felt the last of my mental defenses crumble inside me. I broke down, crying my eyes out like there was no tomorrow.

Dante only stood and watched me, my whole body racked with hard sobs. For the first time since the day I'd met him, he didn’t have a single mean thing to say.

Who said miracles didn't happen?