FIFTY NINE: Smoke Break

Two weeks in, and my patience was wearing thin.

Dabi had me carry out such pointless tasks. Laundry, cooking, carrying insults back and forth between him and the members he wanted to pick fights with. It was tedious, and the fact that I barely got a moment alone with Hawks made it that much worse. It was like they were actively trying to keep us separated.

"This is slavery and I want to speak to my lawyer..." I complained bitterly, glaring at nobody in particular, seeing as Dabi was absent from the room. I was standing by a rack strung with damp clothing, my wings stretched out and acting like a heater to make them dry faster. The rain was pelting down outside, and everyone thought that today would be the perfect day to do laundry.

"Quit complaining!" Twice snapped, immediately giving me a perky thumbs up. "You're doing such a great job! Thank you for all your hard work, Birdy!" Rolling my eyes, I threw in the towel, curling my wings into my back before deactivating my quirk.
"It's not fair. I just wanna help..." I threw on a pout, plopping down onto the armrest of the chair the villain was seated in. "I'm not a housemaid, Jin. Does Dabi really think that little of me?"

Yeah, it was low, getting all chummy with the kindest, most oblivious villain, but I genuinely liked Twice as a person. He always greeted me with excitement, and did his best to make me feel comfortable.
"He just doesn't know how to treat a lady, obviously! He's an asshole! Totally a nice guy, so just talk to him about it!"

The fact was, I had, to a degree. Dabi and I had gotten kind of close since my arrival, but it wasn't enough. He was a tight lipped son of a bitch, which meant I really needed to step up my game.
"Know where he's at, then? I'll go give him a piece of my mind!" Acting tough, I hopped up, cracking my knuckles, which hurt a lot more than I had intended.

"He's at I have no idea! Try anywhere bright, light and happy! Wait, no, I mean dark, dank and dreary. My bad." Giving my new friend a pat on the head as I passed, Ieft my task, ready to scour the mansion high and low. However, not many places really fit Twice's suggestion. The place was cleaner than most, not to mention huge.

Well, it's raining. I'm gonna try outside. At least it's an excuse to get fresh air.

Little did I know, that's exactly where he was. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I walked out one of the back doors, catching him squatting beneath the thin cover of the overhang of the roof.
"Shit! Dammit, you scared me!" I snapped, clutching my chest as the ravonet glanced over to me.
"Story of my life." He chuckled dryly, taking a draw of his poorly rolled cigarette. "So, to what do I owe the pleasure? You miss me so much you had to hunt me down?"

Internally gagging, I sidestepped to get closer to him, hands behind my back as I glanced out at the pouring rain.
"Would...that be such a bad thing..?" When he scoffed, I made a mental note to punch myself in the face later on.
"So it's either a complaint, or you've got a message for me. If it's that knife-wielding lunatic asking for a blood sample again, tell her she can wait until I get my first period."

Puffing my cheeks into a pout, I kicked my foot out, splashing a puddle out into the grass.
"Is it so hard to believe I just wanna hang out? I'm bored, Dabi. You've got me playing Stepford Wife in there, and it blows." I sighed, struggling not to choke from the cloud of smoke that wafted from the cherry of his cigarette.

"I mean, what type of blow are we talking here? Spit or swallow? Big difference." Oh god, he made me sick, but I was lucky my mind was just as quick to form a sassy, yet purposely flirtatious response.
"It really depends on who..on what I'm doing..." Sneaking another glance, I could see I had a nibble at the end of my line once more, and this time I hoped to really reel him in.